What's new

Microsoft replaced my surface pro 2 with pro 3

conan1600

ouch indeed. after i just finished they placed a total hold on my cc for 1,376.00 . i think they believe for sure i'm going to leave the country with the replacement tablet lmao. i asked why and all the guy typed back was that i have the 256 gb model. so yea.... love that hold lol... the salesperson did say id get a replacement in 3 - 5 days though

vincethewipet

ouch indeed. after i just finished they placed a total hold on my cc for 1,376.00 . i think they believe for sure i'm going to leave the country with the replacement tablet lmao. i asked why and all the guy typed back was that i have the 256 gb model. so yea.... love that hold lol... the salesperson did say id get a replacement in 3 - 5 days though

I hope you will be able to get a replacement so soon :).

I'm trying to get my case escalated for the moment. I was told this morning that they have my replacement in stock, but this is the third time I'm being told that... Let's see if I get a tracking number this time. I'm still contacting support by other means just in case.

conan1600

I hope you will be able to get a replacement so soon :).

I'm trying to get my case escalated for the moment. I was told this morning that they have my replacement in stock, but this is the third time I'm being told that... Let's see if I get a tracking number this time. I'm still contacting support by other means just in case.
i'm sorry to hear you are having issues. as for my case i have received an email this very evening confirming shipping of a surface pro 3 256gb version as was my spec on the pro2. i am unsure if i should be thrilled or not as i've heard of heating issues in the newer model but there is no denying the 3 has other qualities. i will test it out and i'm sure i will like it but if not i would simply sell it and buy a smaller screen 1080p device again. i doubt that will have to happen though. i am now concerned that all my accessories will not work with the 3 though.
i have a power cover, a type cover, a pen, and a dock but the dock is not the Microsoft one so it will work with any USB 3 port. the keyboard from my pro 2 supposedly works with the 3 but is far smaller so does not fully protect in addition to looking silly. ah well, i should not complain at all, i'm getting a year newer device for a trade.my Microsoft complete expierance so far has been exemplary and i will purchase further Microsoft products and warranties. i hope your case resolves itself in your favor very soon mate. good luck and please do keep us informed

vincethewipet

i'm sorry to hear you are having issues. as for my case i have received an email this very evening confirming shipping of a surface pro 3 256gb version as was my spec on the pro2. i am unsure if i should be thrilled or not as i've heard of heating issues in the newer model but there is no denying the 3 has other qualities. i will test it out and i'm sure i will like it but if not i would simply sell it and buy a smaller screen 1080p device again. i doubt that will have to happen though. i am now concerned that all my accessories will not work with the 3 though.
i have a power cover, a type cover, a pen, and a dock but the dock is not the Microsoft one so it will work with any USB 3 port. the keyboard from my pro 2 supposedly works with the 3 but is far smaller so does not fully protect in addition to looking silly. ah well, i should not complain at all, i'm getting a year newer device for a trade.my Microsoft complete expierance so far has been exemplary and i will purchase further Microsoft products and warranties. i hope your case resolves itself in your favor very soon mate. good luck and please do keep us informed

I think they are also sending new pen/type cover/power adaptor to everyone who has their SP2 exchanged for a SP3. I hope it will be the case for you too.

I was lied about my replacement being in stock, for a third time. I will make a complain to Microsoft Canada and to my local consumer affairs department.

conan1600

ok. update on my MS Complete Journey. I received my replacement SP3 today. it did indeed come with a new type cover 3 and nTrig pen. the device itself is brand new with 0 battery cycles. My warranty will run out in a month or so and i will be sad to see it go. i only wish there were a way to renew it lol. To anyone who buys a premium device like this.....GET the complete warranty. Microsoft stood behind their product in my case and even went far beyond what i consider exceptional service. to those who are still waiting i'm sorry. i am sure MS will make it right in the end for you. As for myself Microsoft made me a believer and i will extol the virtues of their warranty till the cows come home or the surface line ends

vincethewipet

My case was transferred to someone at the Escalations Services at Microsoft. The guy was really great and much more helpful than anyone at the Answer Desk. Because he is working directly at Microsoft, he has access to much better information, and he was more than willing to share it with me.

There is a lot of backordered SP. he told me the worldwide amount of backordered units, and I was impressed. They are having a very difficult month. I know how much people are waiting for a tablet in Canada, and where I am in the list. It should not be long for me now, I’m at the top of a very long list.

There is a global lack of SP3, and since this is what they are sending to almost everyone in replacement of their older models (I was told that I’m almost certain to get a SP3), there is a lot of waiting going around.

They delay is still not acceptable, but having someone that is easy to contact and is able to give me the best information possible is putting my mind at ease.

It is still bad that it took so long to give my case to someone who know exactly what’s going on.

GoodBytes

This is just a guess, probably Microsoft expectation of replacement from "send to repair" system (where they pay ~500-550 U.S, from what I remember), and warranty replacement was higher then expected. As the SP4 was about to be released, they probably top SP3 production a while back. So now they need to kick-start it (well they probably done so a while back), the problem in production of computer devices, is that it isn't like a printer. You have to LARGE orders, you can't place 1 or 2. And, it takes months to produce, especially when you need to cater at a world wide market. Usually the order needs to be place 3-4 month in advance. So you start to see where predicting how much you need, is very difficult. Margin are small for computers. What I mean, is that if you compare a Surface Pro with a.. say phone case. Your phone case probably cost 0.10$ to produce (in a mass order), in a computer, every manufacture of parts (processors, chips, resistors, capacitors, etc.), wants to make a profit, and well, processors and high quality circuit board design, displays, and SSDs and all that, is not cheap either.
So you want to avoid a big write off.

So, usually a companies plays it safe. You get a new device, and not a scratched up device, but you wait, and Microsoft avoids or limits loosing a lot of money.

maryk

I requested warranty service and Microsoft sent a Pro 3 instead of the Pro 2. With a new keyboard, pen and everything needed. I was shocked but pleased.

I'm curious as to the replacement with the "pen" I was not that thrilled with the Surface Pro 3 replacement as I liked the size of the 2 and I had the battery keyboard for my 1&2. BUT, I called right away as I did not receive a pen and that really pisses me off. They did send the regular type keyboard. I talked to the answer desk and they will not send the pen - although I requested one and now I have to buy one? The battery keyboard will work - but it is not the right size. Since I still have the SP1 I will use it there. So, why did other people get the pen and I did not? I had the full boat replacement warranty too. I still have not sent my Surface 2 back.

Last edited:

vincethewipet

I'm curious as to the replacement with the "pen" I was not that thrilled with the Surface Pro 3 replacement as I liked the size of the 2 and I had the battery keyboard for my 1&2. BUT, I called right away as I did not receive a pen and that really pisses me off. They did send the regular type keyboard. I talked to the answer desk and they will not send the pen - although I requested one and now I have to buy one? The battery keyboard will work - but it is not the right size. Since I still have the SP1 I will use it there. So, why did other people get the pen and I did not? I had the full boat replacement warranty too. I still have not sent my Surface 2 back.

Surface support is not in a good place for the moment. Escalate your case, and ask to speak with someone from the Customer Advocacy team. The normal Answer Desk will not do anything, they can’t do anything, and they have very limited information, in my experience.

After 53 days of waiting, I have ben confirmed that my replacement will be shipped next Monday. Nothing was wrong with my order, they simply did not have anything in stock in Canada to send me (an equivalent SP2 64GB), and they didn’t want to upgrade me to much.

I’m not very happy with the service I got. I hope my replacement, if it’s a SP3, will have a pen…

conan1600

you should be able to look at your "my devices" field on your microsoft account when they ship and see the new device designation they are sending you so if it is a pro 2 or 3 it will say that.

maryk

Surface support is not in a good place for the moment. Escalate your case, and ask to speak with someone from the Customer Advocacy team. The normal Answer Desk will not do anything, they can’t do anything, and they have very limited information, in my experience.

After 53 days of waiting, I have ben confirmed that my replacement will be shipped next Monday. Nothing was wrong with my order, they simply did not have anything in stock in Canada to send me (an equivalent SP2 64GB), and they didn’t want to upgrade me to much.

I’m not very happy with the service I got. I hope my replacement, if it’s a SP3, will have a pen…

I have to take it back. While packing up the box there was a small envelope in the packing materials with the pen! Very happy about that. Sorry Microsoft!