What's new

Microsoft will release a new 2 in 1 convertible this winter

Orlbuckeye

MS announced yesterday at Computex Taipei they will release a Windows 10 convertible The Windows 10 machine 2-in-1 will be made made in collaboration between an unnamed local manufacturer (OEM) and Porsche Design.

The convertible will have a 13.3-inch screen, runs on an Intel processor, and will come with a pen. The device also supports Windows Hello 2.0 biometric readers, Cortana, and Windows Ink.

So will there be a Surface Book 2 this year? I'm guessing yes since the Surface Book and Surface aren't OEM products. I expect MS to release at least 2 Surface brand machines in late 2016 early 2017.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This device isn't a Surface, it is a Flagship au couture 2 and 1 to showcase Windows 10 and Porsche Design esthetics... cool device for sure but not a Surface :)

OP
Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye

Well a Surface is whatever Microsoft defines it as but in reality the Surface didn't have an OEM attached to it so if there is a Surface 2 this won't be it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets see a Taiwanese manufacturer... Acer or Asus most likely.

My guess is: IF there's a 2016 holiday entry from MS it will be the Surface 4. The Pro 5/SB2 based Kaby Lake builds will be in 2017. That could make a Skylake core-m based S4 a possibility leaving the entry SP5 with Kaby Lake core-m. place your bets and spin the wheel. :)

Seneleron

Add the ability to purchase/exchange base for an upgraded model [preferably with a low power variation of the as yet to be announced GTX 10** series mobile GPUs] and I'm sold.

Conversely, add a surface pro style kickstand and move the micro SD slot to the clipboard, shut up and take my money for the whole package]

Sadly, my guess is that this will be some kind affluent luxury brand name model with 10x the price tag.

[Because the base adds twice the weight, and sometimes I just want to use it as a clipboard, but not have to hold it or bring an aftermarket stand. . also, airplanes etc. Yea, that's right. . I knew what you were thinking ;) ]

OP
Orlbuckeye

Orlbuckeye

Add the ability to purchase/exchange base for an upgraded model [preferably with a low power variation of the as yet to be announced GTX 10** series mobile GPUs] and I'm sold.

Conversely, add a surface pro style kickstand and move the micro SD slot to the clipboard, shut up and take my money for the whole package]

Sadly, my guess is that this will be some kind affluent luxury brand name model with 10x the price tag.

[Because the base adds twice the weight, and sometimes I just want to use it as a clipboard, but not have to hold it or bring an aftermarket stand. . also, airplanes etc. Yea, that's right. . I knew what you were thinking ;) ]

Won't happen that would be as new a product as the 2-in-1. The design would be different as currently they serial number is the base and clipboard. Plus why a GTX 1080 low powered ? Why not just a GTX 1050? It's a machine that can play games but not a gaming machine. Let Alienware, MSI and Asus try that stuff. If you want that you just have to buy the Surface Pro.