What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

Hi good, I downloaded the trial version of your app and I used it a little bit. Here's what I noticed.
Overall it's a well implemented app and I really love it. Congrats! However, I noticed when I opened a document in portrait orientation and called up the onscreen keyboard the page did not resize automatically. I had to zoom in (out? Always confuses me) to enlarge the page in order to be able to scroll up and get to the last line on the page.
This is actually a MS system thing. I'll see what I can do with code, but the way the system is setup I have no way of controlling how anything behaves when the keyboard pops up. This has been my #1 complaint to MS for the last 2 years. Never got any response, though.

I also like the drawing feature and how it retained its form even when I viewed the saved page in Ms. word, however, the inking lags heavily after a few words. In fact, after about five words, the strokes start going haywire and making phantom strokes and up to 10 words it becomes unusable. Now I understand it is a very fresh app and many apps at the first release had this problem even the stock Reader app, but it would be nice if you can work on the inking feature. To be sure, drawing is ok, but I guess users would also need the label or write something about their drawing.

Good job!
Well, I can certainly try to improve the inking. But first, I need to know what system you are using. I tried it on my test device, which is an 8 inch tablet running on an atom processor and I could not get it to lag no matter how much I write in there.

Also, the hand draw feature was never meant to turn this app into a note book type device. It's meant for you to draw something quickly when you obviously cannot type it in. For example, when I was in grad school I was hired by a professor to take notes and post them online. Problem was sometimes he drew pictures. Back then, I used MS word and everytime he drew something I had to draw it on a piece of paper and scan it in later. So, with my app you can just finger draw it into the document at a moment's notice.

Nowadays, I regularly have to sign documents and email them. This can serve that purpose, too. You can quickly sign it with your finger and send it off.

I've been thinking of creating an app specializing in inking to allow people to take handwritten notes. That one will definitely be made for the purpose of hadnwriting everything on your tablet.

nnthemperor

I understand your point on the feature not being meant for note taking but sometimes you need to label drawings. That's where it comes in handy.

OP
G

goodintentions

I understand your point on the feature not being meant for note taking but sometimes you need to label drawings. That's where it comes in handy.
I see... let me think about this one.

Added by edit.

1 minute later, I thought of a solution for you. Stand by for an update coming to a winstore near you.

OP
G

goodintentions

With auto save on, do I still have to save before closing the app? The close document button doesn't do anything
The close button will only work if you have more than 1 document open. If you want to close the app, you will have to use the traditional way.

Yes, it is best to save before you close the app. Autosave saves the file every so often depending on how long the cycle you choose. It's there to avoid losing your work if something happens, like the computer crashing.

You just convinced me to make the "close" button closing the app if there's only 1 document open. Will apply it in this incoming update, which I will send out tomorrow.

Before you close the app, just press ctrl+s real fast to make sure you have your work saved.

nnthemperor

Hi Good,
I just bought the app, but now the drawing canvas crashes the app. Each time I tried to draw the app force closes.