What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

So, my latest update just hit the store. You can download it right now. I've added large buttons and large tabs upon request of a user here.

This update also finally fixed a crash bug that's been plaguing my app for several weeks now. Finally figured out what the hell was causing it.

Getting this much closer to real time spell checking. Then I can retire the old fashion spell checker. Still need to hammer out a few details. But for the most part real time spell checker works! This means squiggly red line underneath misspelled words. If you right click or long press on it you will get suggested words and an option to add to dictionary. I stayed up for 64 hours straight to make this code work just for you guys :p

Thank you all for your support. Getting more downloads than ever. My tracker tells me this app is being used quite a bit. Love you all.

nnthemperor

Thanks dude, it's indeed a great app. I love it. Is it possible to add the ability to fill forms by inking. I mean inking without the drawing canvass. MS word has that feature but the handwritten words get scattered when viewed in other applications.

Morgan

Thank for the large tab and rectangle options. Great work, Good Intentions.
Now it would be nice if you could modify the behavior of the "New" and "Open" buttons.

If the active tab already has a document, I'd like to be asked if I want to replace the existing document or new/open in a new tab. I'd like the default to be "replace". And when replacing I'd like to be asked to save the document being replaced.

OP
G

goodintentions

Thank for the large tab and rectangle options. Great work, Good Intentions.
Now it would be nice if you could modify the behavior of the "New" and "Open" buttons.

If the active tab already has a document, I'd like to be asked if I want to replace the existing document or new/open in a new tab. I'd like the default to be "replace". And when replacing I'd like to be asked to save the document being replaced.
Ok. Good idea.

OP
G

goodintentions

What a downer. I spent all day today incorporating the layer of code for real time spell checking. And I succeeded. But it broke several other functions.

Been pulling my hair out working on this. I'm down to my last dozen hair strands. Don't know how professional programmers deal with the stress.
The problem I've been hitting with the new code for real time spell checking has been rendering the images correctly. See, when I added the code that allowed the document to attach images and allowed the user to hand draw/write directly into the document, I had the choices of referencing a saved image in a folder somewhere, embedding the image directly into the document, and having a separate superimposed layer over the document.

Referencing an saved image from a folder somewhere was the easiest approach, but if the user emails the document to someone else the image would fail to show up.

Having a superimposed layer over the document was the ideal choice, and I started doing going down this route. But when I tried to open up the document using something else like openoffice, there were all kinds of formatting problems.

Hence I settled with embedding/hardcoding the image directly into the document itself. Someone on here has said that hand drawn images stay the same regardless of what app he used to open his documents. This is why. The images are hardcoded into the document so there's no possibility of formatting problem.

That said, the new code for real time spell check broke that. I've been trying to figure out what the hell was causing the damn conflict between the image embedding and the real time spell checker. I've been staring at my code so long and hard for the last 3 weeks that I almost have everything memorized (hundreds of lines of code).

Well, this morning while I was driving to work, it occurred to me that it might be the code that transpose the image into data uri scheme itself. Also occurred to me that I ran into a similar rendering problem when I first introduced the include image option. Back then, I did a quick and dirty fix. But now, the new spell checker code has re-exposed the bug.

And you know what, as soon as I got to my office I opened up my program and went straight to the method that did the transposing, and sure enough there was a "." out of place.

Well, 3 weeks and a full head of hair strands later, I've finally resolved this problem.

Real time spell checker now works fully without breaking anything else.

OP
G

goodintentions

Sweet. I hope this is as fun for you as it is for us.
Oh yeah, I've learned a lot. Before I started this project, I had no idea how to do many of the things in this app. In fact, I had no idea I was capable of doing some of these things.

When the first user emailed me asking for real time spell checker, I was like I have no idea how to even begin coding for something like that. After all, it had taken me almost my sanity to wrap C++ around C# to create the old fashion spell checker.

But then more emails from my users started rolling in asking for real time spell checker. So, I began experimenting with it.

And I know there are plenty of professional programmers here. You guys may think this is child's play stuff. But for me, it's been quite a challenge, damn it. I'm proud of it, even if it's child's play for some people. I started out wanting to create something unique. And now, there's no other word processor in the windows store that even comes close to what I have :D

OP
G

goodintentions

So is it possible to add the ability to handwrite directly into the text without the drawing canvass?
Yes and no. This was actually my first approach. The problem is every program does it differently thus making it a nightmare to keep the formatting consistent. Again, I didn't add the handwrite/draw feature for one to hand write the entirety of the canterbury tales. For the moment, it's meant to quickly draw something that the professor drew on the board. Or you can sign your name in a document.

Speaking of which, I know resizing the inserted hand drew images have been sucking lately. Also, have you noticed you haven't been able to resize the tables?

Well, I've also been working on those things for the next update. The ability to resize images will be 3000% better and the tables will be fully resizable.

OP
G

goodintentions

Worked on some coding while watching Edge of Tomorrow with the boyfriend. Here are a couple of screenshots.

spellcheck1.png
spellcheck2.png

I will include dictionaries for 21 languages. User will have the option to choose the correct spelling, ignore all, or add to dictionary.

Must say, the real time spell checker has taken up more time than anything else from this project. Still can't believe I actually achieved this.

dniezby

Nice job on the app! Looks good.
If you need any help with graphics or logo type stuff, let me know. As far as UI design, love the clean look. Would recommend removing the settings button and moving it to the Charms Menu.

Is there a way to insert images? I see, drawing images but insert from web or library etch.