What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

I think the most fun part about working on this app so far is the equation editor. It was a real headache working on the initial javascript code and trying to make it play nicely with the c# and c++ that's behind this app. But once the technical part works, fine tuning it has been pretty fun.

Look at this screenshot of a primitive version of the equation editor. Isn't it gorgeous? :D
temporary.png

This project has been intellectually challenging and extremely rewarding. I've learned more about programming and code logic through this project than ever before. Through my journey, I've wrapped so many languages together (html, xaml, rtf, c#, and c++). And now, I've added javascript to the list of languages used in this project.

Isn't it amazing what kind of free info that's available on the internet? I love you, internet!

OP
G

goodintentions

A little update. The months of December and January were very kind to my app. Overall, the download and buy rates have been steadily gone up. Also got more good (and a few bad) reviews.

So, I'm adding a main menu page to make it easier for people. Got a few emails suggesting this.

So, one of the things I'm putting in are templates.

MainMenuPage.png

Can you guys suggest to me what other templates I should put in?

OP
G

goodintentions

Question for you guys.

My app daily downloads and purchases have stabilized to a comfortable rate. However, checking the breakdown demo by age shows that about 65% of purchasers are people over 55.

Anybody have any idea on how I can also appeal to the younger crowd?

OP
G

goodintentions

So, I've been working on UI upgrades to make navigation easier and more visually pleasing. For example, last month I added a main menu page to make it easier for the user to navigate to templates, recent documents, etc.
screenshot1.png

Soon, I will send out an update to allow the user the option to change how he/she interacts with the UI. One new feature is a carousel-like interface.
screenshot.png

Of course, the user will have the option to switch to which ever UI he/she wants at any time. The app always remembers the choices that the user makes.

Also, the user can now create his/her own custom templates for future use.

OP
G

goodintentions

Latest windows update broke my app!

Last night, a user of my app Metro Word contacted me and told me the app crashes every time he tried to type something. I tested from all angles on 5 different machines and everything worked fine.

Before I went to sleep, I set my surface pro 3 to download and install the latest update.

This morning, I tried again on my sp3 and my app would crash every time I tried to edit a document.

The reason I stopped developing for android was because every update had a 50% chance of breaking my apps. NOT YOU TOO WINDOWS!

:(

My app has about 10 thousand lines of code and uses dozens of vital windows components. I now have to shift through each one to see what the hell is crashing my app.

BOOOOOOOOO Microsoft!

Tsurugaya

Good that you let us know, because I was getting very frustrated and didn't make the connection to the Windows update.

OP
G

goodintentions

Good that you let us know, because I was getting very frustrated and didn't make the connection to the Windows update.

I'm totally stressed out over this. This project has been my baby.

I've spent the last 20 hours on this and still have no idea what's causing the crash. Everything looks fine logically.

:( :( :(

OP
G

goodintentions

Good god, people's angry emails are streaming in. And I still haven't figured out what's crashing my app. Everything still look logically sound.

Why me?

:(

OP
G

goodintentions

After having shifted through all the components and windows updates from the last several days, I have identified the problem. I am working very hard to make Metro Word fully compatible with the updates. I expect to have the solution within a couple days and will immediately send out an update to solve the problem.

In the mean time, if you need to use Metro Word now, you can uninstall the windows security update KB303889 that is causing the problem. You can always reinstall this update in the future.

Please do the following to uninstall the specific update that is causing the problem.

(1) Go to the desktop.

(2) Bring up the control panel window.

(3) Select Uninstall A Program under Programs.
2.png

(4) Upper left side of this window, select View installed updates.
3.png

(5) Scroll down and find Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3033889)
4.png

(6) Click Uninstall.

(7) After you’ve uninstalled this update, please restart your computer. Metro Word should be working fully again.

Again, I’m really really sorry Metro Word stopped working properly with the latest update. I am working around the clock on a permanent solution. Please be patient while I work on this.