What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

The reason I say to remove it and put it in the Charms is because it's a matter of keeping the UI Clean and with what is standard in W8. Every app I can think of has the settings in the Charms menu. It's a nice interface, just a recommendation on what could keep it clean.
Well, since our last conversation, I moved the global settings button to the charms bar. Today, I've been exchanging emails with this user about this. He doesn't know how to bring out the charms to get to the global settings. I've sent him step by step instructions 6 times already to move the mouse to the corner to get the charms bar out. He's still lost. And without getting to it, he can't get to the global settings.

OP
G

goodintentions

OH MY GOD!

If anyone remembered, a couple months ago I said I'd been working on a way to export the document to pdf. There's no inbuilt api or any 3rd party software to do this. So, I've been working on this for months now.

See, I don't want to use an online service for this. This is the one function I want to keep in-app.

So, after about 3 months and 3 different approaches, I just compiled and ran a test on my latest approach. WOOHOO! It compiled. And it spat out a pdf file that isn't all jumbled up like before.

I've got a working metro doc -> pdf!!!!!!

lhauser

First of all, I'm more a text editor person, but having a Modern word processor is necessary now and then. I bought MW and generally like it very much.

However, I can't find a way to open plain text documents! If I go to open a document and scroll to my working folder, all I see are Word documents, ot any of my .txt documents. Am I doing something wrong?

OP
G

goodintentions

First of all, I'm more a text editor person, but having a Modern word processor is necessary now and then. I bought MW and generally like it very much.

However, I can't find a way to open plain text documents! If I go to open a document and scroll to my working folder, all I see are Word documents, ot any of my .txt documents. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, I've been meaning to add txt to the files that are recognized by this app.

I'm doing some final tests with this update. I'll send it out tomorrow once I'm sure it's stable.

OP
G

goodintentions

I just sent out a major update to my Modern Word. Should be available to download in a couple hours.

Here are some things included in this update.

1. Paragraph alignments and line/paragraph spacings are now retained in saved files doc, docx, and rtf. Before, these elements were lost every time the user saved to these formats. As I said before, my formatting engine is written entirely in html. It's the language I'm most familiar with and also the only one I know how to do a real-time spell check function with.
  2. Added more short-cut keys. The list for these keys are in the instruction file. Just go into global settings and press on the Instruction button on top.
  3. I've refined some code logics to add stability and improve the speeds of the function.
  4. Upon user request, the app can now open and save to txt file format.
  5. Save to pdf! Been working on this function for 3 months. 3 different approaches. Finally, on the 3rd approach I didn't run into a brick wall like the other 2 attempts. The resulting pdf file is fully searchable. This means the texts are selectable and searchable.
8.png

Please note that Modern Word is the only app in the store currently that can do this without using an online web server. That's right. The function to convert the document to pdf is fully contained in the app itself!

lhauser

I just sent out a major update to my Modern Word. Should be available to download in a couple hours.

How do I force an update? The store doesn't seem to show me an update option, and I can't download a fresh copy because it knows I have it installed. I shouldn't need to uninstall it first, should I?

OP
G

goodintentions

How do I force an update? The store doesn't seem to show me an update option, and I can't download a fresh copy because it knows I have it installed. I shouldn't need to uninstall it first, should I?
I just checked. It's not in the store yet. It's particularly slow today. Last time I updated, it was in the store within an hour. Today, it took them some 6 hours and it's still not in there.

Just wait till tomorrow I guess.

lhauser

I just checked. It's not in the store yet. It's particularly slow today. Last time I updated, it was in the store within an hour. Today, it took them some 6 hours and it's still not in there.

Just wait till tomorrow I guess.

* sigh *

Iappreciate your work.

OP
G

goodintentions

The Store has been having intermittent issues for the past few days...
You should see what's been going on on the developer side. It's becoming a monthly thing where the download stats breaks. While this is only a hobby for me, some people make a living with this, and it's screwing with their livelihood.

Anyway, the update is in the store.

Go into store. Bring up charms bar. Settings. App updates. And update apps.

OP
G

goodintentions

The Store has been having intermittent issues for the past few days...
Haha, the windows store developer community is now in panic mode. Everyone just got a message saying "your account is about to be canceled..." Any attempt at contacting support is throwing an error.

When people take these issues to the Microsoft forum, the only responses from MS employees are exclusively "please contact support..."

There are also people reporting not getting paid.

Like I said, all I have to do is patiently wait for them to fix the system because this is a hobby to me. But to a lot of people, developing apps is their full time job. The word "frightening" has come up several times already on the developer forums.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, the windows store developer community is now in panic mode. Everyone just got a message saying "your account is about to be canceled..." Any attempt at contacting support is throwing an error.

When people take these issues to the Microsoft forum, the only responses from MS employees are exclusively "please contact support..."

There are also people reporting not getting paid.

Like I said, all I have to do is patiently wait for them to fix the system because this is a hobby to me. But to a lot of people, developing apps is their full time job. The word "frightening" has come up several times already on the developer forums.
Ouch....