What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

Now that I've used it for some time, I'd say that the dashboard/control icons dominate too much of available screen real estate, especially on smaller tablet like devices such as a Surface Pro 2 or Asus Vivo Tab Note 8.
Perhaps you could make some different colored tabs on the left side of the screen and when the user taps a tab the corresponding selection of icons will slide in from screen margin and then perhaps leave a small icon with user defined commands icons that will expand when tapped.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Ladies and gents, I introduce to you the new look and feel of Office Word Touch.

1.png
2.png
8.png

kodos

Really starting to look nice. Big thumbs up from me, though I don't currently need a tool like this - I am eager to see how this continues to grow.

OP
G

goodintentions

Nope. The version you have still has a bug. Check in the settings window. If it's earlier than 3.0.1.3, then it's not completely fixed. 3.0.1.3 should be available for download on Monday. MS stopped certifying updates over the weekend.

Hope this bug won't give me a barrage of 1 star reviews LOL.
Update 3.0.1.4 should now be in the store. Can someone please update and confirm that it solved the read only bug?

lparsons21

Got the upgrade. When starting the app it show 'read only', selection purchase is immediate and it goes to full use.

But completely closing and restarting shows 'read only' every time requiring me to click on the purchase button. The difference is that it is immediate when you click on 'buy' instead of going through the purchase sequence.

So it still has a bug in there... :(

OP
G

goodintentions

Got the upgrade. When starting the app it show 'read only', selection purchase is immediate and it goes to full use.

But completely closing and restarting shows 'read only' every time requiring me to click on the purchase button. The difference is that it is immediate when you click on 'buy' instead of going through the purchase sequence.

So it still has a bug in there... :(
Thank you. Have you tried resyncing license I store?

Edit.

Actually, I finally figured it out. For real this time. The bug exists at the very core of my code. It's always been there. Recently I hacked the license checker... which resulted in exposure of the bug.

Anyway, I've fixed the bug. Update will be out tonight.

Last edited:
OP
G

goodintentions

Just sent out an update that includes the permanent fix for the damn read-only bug, full feature trial for 3 days before reverting to read-only mode trial, the new user interface (gorgeous), text-to-speech, and several other things. I'll let the users figure out what.

A little explanation about the read-only bug. But first, I gotta explain how the MS store app trial works. When submitting the app for certification and publication, the developer can choose either to give a time limit to the trial (1 day, 2 days, 3 days, etc.) or no time limit to the trial. If the dev chooses a definite time limit, like 1 day, after 1 day the app will stop working. The user will have to buy from the store in order to keep using the app.

If the dev chooses no time limit, then the trial will remain trial until the user buys the app. This way, the dev can impose limits on the trial version.

I opted with the no time limit trial version because what if a potential buyer doesn't want to buy it now but wants to buy it in the future? If I chose a time limit, that potential buyer will never be able to try out the trial again in the future to see what's new.

But here's the problem. I've had many users requested that I give them full version with no limits so they can fully try out the app. See my dilemma? Microsoft only gave me 2 options. Their system prevents me from giving full feature trial for 3 days and then revert to read-only no-time-limit. It's either full feature 3 days and then inoperable app or limited feature no-time-limit.

So, I had to write a hack to the license checker to do exactly what I wanted: 3 days full features trial and then read-only after that until the app is bought.

The hack worked wonderfully well in my test device, which is an x86 tablet. Then I saw a 1 star review saying the app is stuck in permanent read-only mode. I went in and fixed what I thought was the bug. But as you can see, the bug persisted. What's worse, it only manifest itself in some devices while not show up at all in others. o_O At first, I thought it was x86 vs rt vs x64. But from reports, this seemed to strike at random.

Earlier today, I finally discovered that my hack to the license checker exposed a latent bug that's been there since the beginning. It also explained why some devices were affected and some were not. Why? Well, I'll keep that to myself... it's my trade secret :D

Anyway, it's been fixed and there should not be anymore problem. What does this mean to you? If you've bought my app, everything will go back to normal and you will now be able to enjoy the new user interface. Absolutely gorgeous, me thinks. If you haven't bought my app, you will now get 3 days full features before the app goes into read-only mode. Everything else still works. So, if you want the app to read you a story while you cook or workout or whatever, then you can simply open a document and use the text-to-speech feature.

As always, if you like my app, please consider buying. Trust me, this isn't about money. It earns me peanuts. But it does brighten my day a little knowing it's appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
G

goodintentions

This is going in a very nice direction. Once it's a little more refined it might be time for a blog post.
Don't know how to create a blog.

Anyway, totally forgot to edit the to do list in the app description. The next big thing to be added will be handwriting. Working on it to work with finger, capacitive stylus, and active electronic stylus. User can hand draw something into the document or take hand written notes. Probably will also include a text recognition.

Tsurugaya

I was thinking of my own blog. Once it is a bit more refined I'd thought I'd write about it, let more people know.