What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

Tsurugaya

I'm very happy with the blue folder tabs, from an esthetic UI point out would be nice if they looked more like actual tabs rather than rectangles. But I'm the first to admit that this is nitpicking, especially for a one man project. Also, the speech recognition box worked very well, but it wasn't exactly intuitive. Are you using Windows internal speech recognition engine?

OP
G

goodintentions

I'm very happy with the blue folder tabs, from an esthetic UI point out would be nice if they looked more like actual tabs rather than rectangles. But I'm the first to admit that this is nitpicking, especially for a one man project. Also, the speech recognition box worked very well, but it wasn't exactly intuitive. Are you using Windows internal speech recognition engine?
I'll try to make them look more like tabs.

What do you mean not intuitive? I really tried to make it as simple to use as I could. What were you confused about? What do you think will make it easier to use?

Tsurugaya

The insert icon was greyed out so first I thought that it wouldn't work on my Vivo Tab. It didn't turn on until I clicked the middle icon, I'm not sure I see the point of that middle step. Why not just click the insert icon when you feel like you're finished?

Perhaps have a record button, pause button and insert icon? That would feel more intuitive, at least for me.

OP
G

goodintentions

Regarding the tabs looking more like tabs than rectangles, like this?
tabs1.png
tabs2.png

OP
G

goodintentions

The insert icon was greyed out so first I thought that it wouldn't work on my Vivo Tab. It didn't turn on until I clicked the middle icon, I'm not sure I see the point of that middle step. Why not just click the insert icon when you feel like you're finished?

Perhaps have a record button, pause button and insert icon? That would feel more intuitive, at least for me.

speech1.png

The left screenshot is when the app is not listening. The right screenshot is when the app is listening. My thinking is the user has to stop talking before he can insert the texts. Otherwise, while he's inserting, it will keep listening and inserting random words in the accumulated results.

I tested this out with the insert button enabled while it's still listening. While it worked, it kept adding new words that I didn't want. I designed it this way to force the user to have a concise line of thought they want to say out and then insert the thought into the document.

Tsurugaya

Tabs look better, maybe a color graduation so they are easier to st apart?
If you switch the mikes the flow of action will be more natural. I didn't think it would add words if the user became quiet. By I can see that you might be safer wit an on/off switch. Rather than mic try rec, that should make it clearer.

Tsurugaya

Like going from light blue at the top to dark blue at the bottom and when a certain tab is active perhaps make it yellow, like a highlighter. It tells the user which tab is active.

no offense intended tsurugaaya, but i feel your suggestions are going to make the program look a little tacky :x i liked the minimalist look of the program he had before especially because it matches what the graphic designers of windows 8 are favoring right now (squares and solid colors).

ultimately it's up to you, goodintentions! keep up the good work!

one more thing that i was thinking: i realize the change was to accommodate smaller screens, but scrolling through the tab's options inhibits muscle memory (defeating the purpose of a touch screen). Can anyone else confirm having this problem? or will i get used to scrolling just the right amount to the option i want? (haven't had any essays lately to get used to the program)

OP
G

goodintentions

no offense intended tsurugaaya, but i feel your suggestions are going to make the program look a little tacky :x i liked the minimalist look of the program he had before especially because it matches what the graphic designers of windows 8 are favoring right now (squares and solid colors).

ultimately it's up to you, goodintentions! keep up the good work!

one more thing that i was thinking: i realize the change was to accommodate smaller screens, but scrolling through the tab's options inhibits muscle memory (defeating the purpose of a touch screen). Can anyone else confirm having this problem? or will i get used to scrolling just the right amount to the option i want? (haven't had any essays lately to get used to the program)
Any suggestion on how I could make the menu better?

So far, it's been unanimously agreed that having a full screen for document with collapsible menu items is the best way. How about this, instead of scrolling through the menu, the menu items can go down to the end of the screen and then continue on in a column to the right? Would this work better? It's still collapsible, but it will come out in columns instead of a long scroll.

Edit.

Oh yeah, can anyone who hasn't bought the app confirm that you now get 3 days full features before going into read-only mode?

Last edited: