What's new

MS Offering Upgrade from RT to Pro for Difference in Price?

Corrosive

It just seems like bad business for them to offer a full retail trade in. I love my RT, but at only a few hundred to upgrade to full 1080p, wiacom, and full win8 I'd definitely do it. I guess I'll call the Houston store and see what they say (expecting a great big NO).

Can anyone confirm that you need to bring it back with proof of purchase from said store? I have my box, packaging, etc... but no receipt.

Re-Reading the OP's post and the article, it sounds more like people who purchased within the 30 (maybe 90) day return period would get a full refund... Most companies do this anyway within some timeframe. Returning a product is nothing new... returning a product 5 months later, that's the kicker. The article is not specific on when you had to make the initial purchase.

magicrobots

I just spoke to a representative at the Boston MS Store, and she said something about a recycling program for the older Surface RTs. You can trade in the RT, but the value you get back is based upon age and condition, and requires a conversation with a manager. I'm going to try to stop by the store later today and see if I can get more specifics.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
I imagine this is only for newer devices, which as noted is not unusual to allow a return window. Where it might be interesting is for people who bought the Surface RT on day 1. I was never given the impression this would be an on going program where you could return a year old device and get the upgrade. According to the kiosk employee it was going to be offered mainly for those who were unclear about the capabilities and differences of RT to be able to get the Pro instead. Sort of an "oops" or "I should have waited" grace exchange.

magicrobots

OK, I just got back from the MS store. Side note; the Surface Pro is AWESOME.

Regarding trade in for older Surfaces (I bought mine on day one) they have a program called CEXchange, where you bring your product into the store, they log in to This Website and enter your product and the site database gives you a value for the product. This value is only applicable towards purchasing something else.

The value of an operational 32 GB Surface RT is ~$325, and for a 64 GB it's more like $380. Is this worth it? Not sure; on EBay I'm seeing used Surface RT 32GBs going for $300 to $350. Although you might get lucky and send it off for $400.

Last edited:

Corrosive

OK, I just got back from the MS store. Side note; the Surface Pro is AWESOME.

Regarding trade in for older Surfaces (I bought mine on day one) they have a program called CEXchange, where you bring your product into the store, they log in to This Website and enter your product and the site database gives you a value for the product. This value is only applicable towards purchasing something else.

The value of an operational 32 GB Surface RT is ~$325, and for a 64 GB it's more like $380. Is this worth it? Not sure; on EBay I'm seeing used Surface RT 32GBs going for $300 to $350. Although you might get lucky and send it off for $400.

Keep in mind ebay and paypal fees. Even selling it for 400 would only net you around 360. If it were up to me, craigslist would be my number 1 spot to sell it but even there you are going to have a lot of hecklers and "the people of craigslist".

That is pretty disappointing about 325. 325 is pretty far from 499...