What's new

New SP3 user

leshay

Hi all,
Delivered today, and have been trying it out for a few hours. So far so good and I am liking it thus far.
I opted for the i5 256GB with type cover and Arc Mouse. The mouse was a mistake I think, as so far I just can't get used to the 'missing' wheel. I also have a docking station still waiting on dispatch.
I suspect that I will be visiting here a lot, as I can already see several things I will probably need help with. (such as - how to uninstall some of the apps like Office which so far I haven't found the way to do so) I did manage to remove some of the apps via Options, but quite a few didn't appear there.

I am slowly beginning to like the cover keyboard, but with large fingers it is something I will reserved judgement on for the moment.

I can't yet believe that such a wee tiny machine like this has got so much power. I installed MS Visual Studio 2013 and it works very well - even faster than my old i7 laptop.

There have been a couple of places where I needed to select my NAS as the source for one or an other operations I was in the midst of (such as assigning a picture to an account etc.), and I had to manually type in the network address - no 'browse' option offered - I found that strange.

Anyway, enough for now. Have a nice day.

kundas1

welcome to the jungle! and why would you want to un-install office? it's so practical to have? btw you just have to go into control panel and then programs and features and you can remove it

malberttoo

Hi all,
Delivered today, and have been trying it out for a few hours. So far so good and I am liking it thus far.
I opted for the i5 256GB with type cover and Arc Mouse. The mouse was a mistake I think, as so far I just can't get used to the 'missing' wheel. I also have a docking station still waiting on dispatch.
I suspect that I will be visiting here a lot, as I can already see several things I will probably need help with. (such as - how to uninstall some of the apps like Office which so far I haven't found the way to do so) I did manage to remove some of the apps via Options, but quite a few didn't appear there.

I am slowly beginning to like the cover keyboard, but with large fingers it is something I will reserved judgement on for the moment.

I can't yet believe that such a wee tiny machine like this has got so much power. I installed MS Visual Studio 2013 and it works very well - even faster than my old i7 laptop.

There have been a couple of places where I needed to select my NAS as the source for one or an other operations I was in the midst of (such as assigning a picture to an account etc.), and I had to manually type in the network address - no 'browse' option offered - I found that strange.

Anyway, enough for now. Have a nice day.

Welcome aboard leshay!

OP
L

leshay

welcome to the jungle! and why would you want to un-install office? it's so practical to have? btw you just have to go into control panel and then programs and features and you can remove it

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I used a poor example as I did find the Control Panel-> Programs a while after my post. I don't really want another (albeit newer version) of Office as I have an older one already. I haven't investigated thoroughly, but it looks like the one on the SP3 is a subscription based one.

A better example might have been the Store App, or the One Drive App (both of which I don't need/want), which I have yet to find how to remove. I will persevere with IE 11 for the time being, but Firefox has been my browser of choice for many years now.

As far as I can tell, all these apps can be reinstalled at a later time if needed.

parmacrafter

You can't really uninstall the store. However you can remove it from the desktop screen. Just right click and tell it to remove from start screen. So far that has worked for everything I wanted off my start screen.

OP
L

leshay

You can't really uninstall the store. However you can remove it from the desktop screen. Just right click and tell it to remove from start screen. So far that has worked for everything I wanted off my start screen.
Hi
Thanks for that, I suppose I will just live with it. I really don't like it when things are forced on me like that though. It could just have been a simple straightforward app. It is MS just trying to forcably nudge users to pay for things. Instead, in my case, things like that just make me choose not to use such a site.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi
Thanks for that, I suppose I will just live with it. I really don't like it when things are forced on me like that though. It could just have been a simple straightforward app. It is MS just trying to forcably nudge users to pay for things. Instead, in my case, things like that just make me choose not to use such a site.
Really, how are they forcing you to buy an App? By the same token, try to remove the Apple App Store, Google Play, Amazon's Store. They are there because they are an integral part of the ecosystem, but nobody is forcing you to use it. Forcing you would be like ... the device will self destruct in 5 minutes if you don't buy something now! Even then your not really forced to do it.

CrippsCorner

As GreyFox says, you can wave goodbye to using any ecosystem then! I don't like apps you can't delete, but not having the Store seems crazy, how would you get anything new?

OP
L

leshay

As GreyFox says, you can wave goodbye to using any ecosystem then! I don't like apps you can't delete, but not having the Store seems crazy, how would you get anything new?

Hi
Exactly! I hate apps that are forced on me (being non uninstallable). I do not agree that a simple shopping app needs to be integral to any system - it is just a shopping app. It could quite easily be uninstallable and re-installable for anyone who needs/uses it. What is this 'ecosystem' rubbish mentioned?

OP
L

leshay

Really, how are they forcing you to buy an App? By the same token, try to remove the Apple App Store, Google Play, Amazon's Store. They are there because they are an integral part of the ecosystem, but nobody is forcing you to use it. Forcing you would be like ... the device will self destruct in 5 minutes if you don't buy something now! Even then your not really forced to do it.
Hi

Really? self destruct? Forcing as in making it uninstallable is forcing me to have the app. Isn't that a more reasonable interpretation? I never said I was being forced to buy anything.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi

Really? self destruct? Forcing as in making it uninstallable is forcing me to have the app. Isn't that a more reasonable interpretation? I never said I was being forced to buy anything.
Welcome to this century, it's a Brave New World. :)