What's new

Newbie - Yet to buy

Cpw1978

Hi Guys, I am currently a fully signed up Apple Man (iPad/Phone/Macbook) and they serve me well for 90% of my life but I am about to return to education to do a Masters and I am really excited about the idea of being able to keep all my notes electronically in one note. I have a few questions and I wondered if you guys might be able to help.

1. Note or Surface Pro - Been done to death and I think I am 90% on the surface side unless anyone can convince me otherwise (prob not the best forum for that)

2. Given that all I want to be able to do is web research and annotate PDFs / take notes do I need a Surface Pro 3 or will a 1 suffice. I know latest is the most future proof but until I'm convinced by the 'need' I don't want to spend a lot on a bit of tech that has a lot of redundancy with what I already own.

Thanks for you help in advance

Chris

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Chris

In my opinion any of the Surface Pros would work but you would be less likely to run out of power or flexibility with the SP3. You may grow into it really fast.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Chris....

Some of the decision between the SP1 vs. SP2 vs. SP3 is price to battery life to screen size and aspect ratio....

SP1 is 16:9 and has very poor battery life
SP2 is still 16:9 and has decent battery life

The first 2 generation outside of the CPU are identical in size and weight.

The SP3 has the best screen size and aspect ratio and has very good battery life....if you can afford it the SP3 is the way to go, it simply the best Tablet PC I've ever used and I've been using them sense 2002....

Tsurugaya

Chris

When you say Note do you mean a Samsung Galaxy Note? Android OneNote now supports inking, so these are very attractive note taking devices, with emphasis on taking. The Surface being a full Windows device makes it possible to engage in note management, something you won't like on an Android, but if you can do that on your MBP you might consider a companion device rather than switching platforms.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id steer clear of the 1 at this point although finding good deals on the 2 is getting harder there's still some to be had. The form factor of the 3 enhances your intended use case for which either of the two lower end models would serve you well if the storage suites you; along with microSD it shouldn't be a problem. If you're signed up you should be able to get the student discount.