What's new

Normal for fan to run even when only browsing the web?

jamesk

I have a SP3 i5 256gb with a UAG case. My fan runs once in a while when I am just browsing the web. Is this normal? Sometimes it's on full blast. It's really loud and you can feel the air blowing pretty hard. Is it my case that is causing it to overheat?

When I am on youtube or playing games the fan turns on too but that's normal. I do not think just browsing the web should make the fan turn on.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes and no. It seems that some engines or whatever they are called are just resource hogs. For instance if i visit engadget, and start reading some comments, my system will go nuts, fan running full blast, 30% cpu usage, sometimes upto 50, the page will often lock up the browser.

Just seems there are a number of sites that really are not optimized in any shape or form.

Is it a specific site you experience this with?

Haldi

install the Intel XTU, it show's a wonderfull "CPU Temperature over Time" Graph and also the CPU/GPU load :)
Oh yeah, and checking Task Manager to make sure you're browser is the only thing really using CPU power would also be good.
Maybe antivirus scan in the back?

P.S some browsers also have GPU assistes rendering, so even the gpu can help heat up the cpu.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What browser are you using?

If using IE, open Desktop IE, go to Manage Add-ons and add Tracking Protection lists. These work in MUI IE as well if you have them in Desktop IE but you can only add them on the Desktop. I'm using EasyList, EasyPricacy, and Stop Google Tracking.

Note I noticed a couple days ago a connection to Facebook.com from visiting this site which I have so far been unable to block despite having bogus entries in my hosts file for facebook.com and adding it to the blocked sites in IE. I might have to resort to collecting the IP addresses it's using and block those. They're clever and devious but I will beat them.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately browsing the web is nolonger a simple straightforward task. The amount of tracking, adware insertions and other dubious functions is escalating exponentially. With every year that passes and bandwidth increase the marketers layer in another level of crap. After all they believe they own the Internet, you, and your computer (which you consented to by visiting any site for which they have a loose affiliation even if surreptitiously or through your ISP). The media regularly write about the NSA and other government alphabet agencies while looking the other way at the biggest threat to privacy on the planet because they are complicit.

vxm

I notice that sort of behaviour only when visiting certain pages- I first noticed that when browsing facebook, which is weird. Other times is while uploading 60 or so images to google drive or watching southpark on their comedy central page- haven't noticed that while watching something on youtube, so I'd assume latter case is connected to flash videos. I'm also using UAG sleeve, TBH I haven't noticed any increased load on fan than regular use. Thing I noticed tho, is that fan is more active when I have tablet on AC- today I was modyfing multiple .psd files (9 at a time with resulotions varying between 480x800 to 2560x1600) and SP3 was silent... Once battery dropped below 20% I plugged AC cord in and immediately fan kicked off. And in case you ask- I have active cooling set both on power and on battery in advanced power options. Weird stuff.