What's new

notifications

psnative

back to 8.1...have hotmail, calendar, & people tiles turned on, notifications all turned on, no sounds when i get mail

CrippsCorner

No... my Mail notifications never seem to come through either! :( maybe 10% of the time or something.

Are you meant to actually leave the program open constantly?

taylork1

This is CRAZY! I've checked everything but still can't get my email notification to sound. Seriously -
* Applied the Aug 2015 update for Office 2013
* Sound settings ok
* Mail account settings verified
* System "Notifications & Actions" verified
* "New Mail Notification" good WAV file picked
* Speakers fine
* "Action Center" icon in system tray working fine

Sure it's a little thing, but now after troubleshooting to exhaustion, it has become a mission. Tell me to RTFM. Tell me it's a simple fix. PLEASE, what's the answer?

k.

OP
psnative

psnative

My hotmail app has just deteriorated since I bought my sp1 when they came out, & it's sad b/c I really liked getting the notifications. first it kept taking longer & longer for the mail to appear (i hear my wife's android notification way before I get it). then it wouldn't send mail, i had to check sent to make sure, often it would say problem sending & i have to retry 2-3 times. then i upgraded to windows 10 & back to 8.1, & it won't send mail anymore so I'm good with desktop mail again

CrippsCorner

Well my solution is to keep my iPhone next to my Surface... then when the email noise comes in, I open Mail lol.

Annoyingly I use Outlook on my iPhone, so once again Microsoft's software is working better on competitors hardware! :rolleyes:

taylork1

SOLVED: Finally, I got my new email notification to work, as well as the icon. It doesn't make sense, but out of desperation I turned Mail and Outlook 2013 OFF in my Action Center. Then, everything started working! So maybe there was a conflict between the app and the Action Center? IDK, but I'm happy to see my email icon change when new mail arrives, and to hear the sound.

taylork1

Action Center
All Settings
System
Notifications & Actions
--scroll to the bottom and turn off Mail and Outlook

OP
psnative

psnative

dont see it, must be a different screen. I see "change action center settings" but not "all setting" ...if i click, I don't see any of the options you listed