What's new

On-screen keyboard has wrong icons

coltenesurface

We've rolled out a few M$ Surface tablets to a few of our users.
Having a problem with one of them.
It is a Surface Pro 2. The on-screen keyboard comes up, but most of the icons are squares.
For instance, if you click to the number pad, no numbers show, instead of numbers they are all squares.
Also, at the metro interface, some of the icons show as squares as well. Next to his profile picture there are 2 squares.
Anybody have any ideas?
Also, if I do the "Refresh this PC" option, will it remove all the programs I installed? MS Office, Cisco VPN, etc.
Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you imaging the machines with a custom .wim file? It sounds like some of the core Tablet Files are corrupt, If you are using MS Tools try to verify File Integrity through the Audit Pass. Or test your Gold Image with sfc /scannow

If you are using a 3rd Party solution verify it works with Windows 8.1. Lastly if you have legacy LOB Apps or an older version of the Cisco VPN that could also be the culprit....

Also - "M$" really????

OP
C

coltenesurface

We did no imaging with these surfaces.
Factory, out of the box, join to domain and start installing software.
Not using any specialized MS Tools, or any third-party solutions.
User claims it just started happening.
I can't find anybody with this same issue.
We are using a bit of an old cisco VPN client, but I doubt that's the issue. I tested it after I installed, and VPN connected fine.
Other software was tested before giving the surface to the user. Everything seemed to be working fine before I gave it to him.
A few months down the road, and now he has this issue.
Also - Yes, "M$", really

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would scratch the machine and reset it.... I've been using Windows 8 since the original Developer's Preview on Tablets and have never had the OSK Screw Up....