What's new

onedrive behaving oddly

Sihaz

Hi all,

Since the last patch Tuesday, I've noticed that the one drive icon in the task bar generally tells me I'm not connected to the internet when I am. A full shutdown and reboot usually fixes it, but if I wake the sp2 from sleep I get the message again. Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers,

Simon

Philtastic

Same since last month's patches. Says I'm not connected to the internet and fails to sync when manually telling it to. Often on boot, it will say that the Onedrive sync engine has had an error and needs to close. The troubleshooter app doesn't fix it either. I'm not too concerned about them fixing this, however, since it never really worked well anyway, almost never uploading files even though it had apparently successfully sync'ed. I always found it better to just go to the Onedrive website and upload and download from there.

bertopl

my problems with OneDrive were a little different than yours after the June updates. my OneDrive icon was always stuck on "OneDrive is Starting Up" even though things seemed to be operating properly (not sure). a "skydrive.exe /reset" on a command prompt only fixed things temporarily until a reboot, then the icon would do the "Starting Up" thing again. I found out that the KB2962409 portion of the June update is what modified OneDrive. I just uninstalled it and hid the update and everything looks to be in order again. hope MS gets it right next month.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

Since the last patch Tuesday, I've noticed that the one drive icon in the task bar generally tells me I'm not connected to the internet when I am. A full shutdown and reboot usually fixes it, but if I wake the sp2 from sleep I get the message again. Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers,

Simon

Are you using Office365 per chance? One of the Updates impacted OneDrive on Office365 Click to Run installations - if you are check for updates under the File Tab - Account

OP
S

Sihaz

Hi jnjr, no not using office 365 or standard office for that matter. I'll try uninstalling the update mentioned above and see what happens...

Philtastic

Ok, I fiddled with it more today and I think I've got it working properly (or, at least, it says that it successfully syncs now rather than hanging on it or crashing). I should note that the following is me trying to remember everything that I did but I might have forgotten something.

What I did (and not sure how much of this was necessary) was
1) Ran the Onedrive troubleshooting program found near the bottom of the following page: Troubleshoot OneDrive sync problems - Windows Help
1a) Let the troubleshooter do its thing on default settings. I sent info to Microsoft and had it reset Onedrive settings but didn't re-enable UAC settings which are apparently required for Onedrive to work (???)
1b) The first time it seemed to freeze on doing Onedrive maintenance so, after a couple of minutes, I closed it, especially since there was no CPU activity. This had happened all prior times I had run the troubleshooter.
2) Next, I uninstalled the Onedrive entry in the Programs and Features list and ran the troubleshooter again. Sent diagnostic info again to Microsoft and didn't re-enable UAC. This time, it actually got to a summary of changes performed. Cool!
3) Now, I manually re-enabled UAC through Control Panel to its default setting where it dims the desktop.
4) Re-ran the troubleshooter utility, didn't send info to Microsoft, reset Onedrive settings, and it got to the summary screen again.
5) Tried resuming sync which I had paused before step 1. It was still endlessly attempting to sync. I manually shutdown Onedrive by opening the Command Prompt, changing directory to Windows\System32 and running "skydrive /shutdown". After a few seconds, I restarted Onedrive by running "skydrive". This also failed to allow syncing to resume.
6) Thinking that perhaps some settings may have been changed, I restarted, and voila: it appears the Onedrive no longer crashes and, when manually told to sync, it actually starts and reports successful sync!

Although I have noted every step I took, I'm pretty certain that the only steps required are to uninstall Onedrive from Programs and Features, turn on UAC, run the troubleshooting utility, and then restart. Let me know if this works for you (not Sihaz since he had a different problem)!

EDIT: OMG YES IT WORKS! Adding files through the Onedrive app actually update now on the website. Prior to this, it would say that it had uploaded the file but never actually did.

Last edited:

ScottyS

Ok, I fiddled with it more today and I think I've got it working properly (or, at least, it says that it successfully syncs now rather than hanging on it or crashing). I should note that the following is me trying to remember everything that I did but I might have forgotten something.

1) Ran the Onedrive troubleshooting program found near the bottom of the following page: Troubleshoot OneDrive sync problems - Windows Help
1a) Let the troubleshooter do its thing on default settings. I sent info to Microsoft and had it reset Onedrive settings but didn't re-enable UAC settings which are apparently required for Onedrive to work (???)
1b) The first time it seemed to freeze on doing Onedrive maintenance so, after a couple of minutes, I closed it, especially since there was no CPU activity. This had happened all prior times I had run the troubleshooter.
2) Next, I uninstalled the Onedrive entry in the Programs and Features list ...

EDIT: OMG YES IT WORKS! Adding files through the Onedrive app actually update now on the website. Prior to this, it would say that it had uploaded the file but never actually did.

Ok, I've been having the same problem just the past 2 days, OneNote saying I wasn't online although I was. I've also been having the trouble with WiFi (since the 8/19 firmware update) connecting after sleep and saying "Limited" for the network connection at work, but at home once I get the WiFi connected to my home network the internet access stays.

I ran Onedrive troubleshooting program but it didn't help.
As per Philtastic's post I clicked on OneDrive in Programs and Features, got the UAC warning "do I want to proceed?" clicked Yes and it went back at Programs and Features with OneDrive not on the list. I rebooted and OneDrive folder was still in my profile folder with the triangular yield sign with exclamation point and the files greyed out with it saying I was offline. I went to MUI OneDrive app and files were also greyed out and when I clicked on one it said it couldn't retrieve files while syncing, to pause syncing. So I backed out with the arrow button to the screen with syncing, clicked Pause and viola! OneDrive MUI app had all my files and when I went back to desktop OneDrive folder it now knew I was online and I could open any file.

I don't know if this "fix" will survive the next reboot, or going in-and-out of sleep. I don't know if it is related to my WiFi problem, or connected standby or any of the other little bugs I've been having. I didn't follow all the steps in Philtastic's post but I did the uninstall in Programs and Features. BTW, OneDrive is now not listed in my Programs and Features, but the MUI app is on MUI app list and the OneDrive folder is in my profile folder. Very strange.

Philtastic

I should note that, after one of the summer updates, I haven't had any problems with OneDrive. It seems to be at a point where it's fully operational and where it actually updates and sends/receives files.

Brent212

2) Next, I uninstalled the Onedrive entry in the Programs and Features list and ran the troubleshooter again. Sent diagnostic info again to Microsoft and didn't re-enable UAC. This time, it actually got to a summary of changes performed. Cool!
3) Now, I manually re-enabled UAC through Control Panel to its default setting where it dims the desktop.
4) Re-ran the troubleshooter utility, didn't send info to Microsoft, reset Onedrive settings, and it got to the summary screen again.
5) Tried resuming sync which I had paused before step 1. It was still endlessly attempting to sync. I manually shutdown Onedrive by opening the Command Prompt, changing directory to Windows\System32 and running "skydrive /shutdown". After a few seconds, I restarted Onedrive by running "skydrive". This also failed to allow syncing to resume.
6) Thinking that perhaps some settings may have been changed, I restarted, and voila: it appears the Onedrive no longer crashes and, when manually told to sync, it actually starts and reports successful sync!

Although I have noted every step I took, I'm pretty certain that the only steps required are to uninstall Onedrive from Programs and Features, turn on UAC, run the troubleshooting utility, and then restart. Let me know if this works for you (not Sihaz since he had a different problem)!

I don't have any sort of skydrive or onedrive entry under control panel's "programs and features".

Also can't run the troubleshooter as it errors out every time it's run, regardless of whether onedrive's running or stopped. So annoying.