What's new

Power Management Problems & ASPM

z3razerviper

Ok my surface has horrible battery life even a complete reinstall of 8.1 with update 1 from msdn did not improve it much so after running powercfg /energy i receive the following 2 errors
Note this is the origional surface pro with all the latest patches & drivers from windows update. Does anyone have any idea what causes the ASPM one? I mean you would think MS could get power management right on a machine they designed...

The one that concerns me the most is

Platform Power Management Capabilities:pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

and this one seems to be related to the wifi card

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Composite Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_1286&PID_2044
Port Path 3

guymalloc

I just ran powercfg /energy on my 'new' surface pro 1, just bought a month ago. I had 25 errors, including

Platform Power Management Capabilities:pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

I think all of mine except that one, are because I pretty much turned off any performance reducing settings in the power configurations. No hibernation, or sleep for my surface. When I'm using it, I want no interruptions, screen timeouts, drive turnoffs, usb shutoffs, nothing....

When I'm on battery, I still get about 4 hours in tablet mode, a little less with my type cover 2 and bluetooth mouse. And when I'm done, I turn it OFF. I guess I'm old school, lost too many hours of work not saving documents, or other work, as I went, and then losing something because my PC decided to sleep or hibernate 'cause I went to the can, or out for a smoke. Most 'good' software has an autosave feature, I always use it if available. And even Microsoft tells people to occasionally turn off their PC. This allows for updates to finish installing, and clears memory allocation errors, common to all software, no matter how good it is.