What's new

Problem to run 3840x1080

cazz

I have use Surface 2 a little time now and I like it alot.
But when I'm not running around I have it connect to a monitor on my desk.
Now I was thinking about use two almost new monitor with my Surface 2 but now I have a little
strange problem.

I have buy Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE that have DP in and DVI-D out.
But I can't get 3840x1080 to work.
I "only" get 2560x1024.
I can pick 3840x1080 but then the screen get blank square that say that I have to run in 1920x1080 in 60Hz.

When I connect the matrox and the monitor to one of my laptop that have displayport I can easy get 3840x1080 so the box and the monitor works.

I have download the latest drivers from Microsoft but nothing change.

I don't know what to do?
I like to use Surface 2 when I work but I also need a good resolution to work.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I have used several of those Matrix adapters in the past and if I'm not mistaken it is going to turn out to be a limitation of the DualHead2Go. Are you able to drive that monitor to that resolution without it?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is one of those slight of hand solutions that drives two 1920 x 1080 monitors from a single stream 3840 x 1080 pseudo monitor right?

What CPU and GPU are in your laptop?

Is there an option to configure this as two separate monitors, each 1920 x 1080? I assume that would be a MST comfig... I haven't played with one of these but that's what I deduce from posts here.

OP
C

cazz

Welcome to the forum

I have used several of those Matrix adapters in the past and if I'm not mistaken it is going to turn out to be a limitation of the DualHead2Go. Are you able to drive that monitor to that resolution without it?

Thanks, it is nice to be here.

well if I plug it in with a DP->HDMI adapter I can get 1920x1080 on one of the screen.
I think maybe is the Surface 2 that is the limit but I'm not sure, it show in the resolution that I can pick 3840x1080 but when I do that I get black screen and after a while it go back to the resolution I can use.

This is one of those slight of hand solutions that drives two 1920 x 1080 monitors from a single stream 3840 x 1080 pseudo monitor right?

What CPU and GPU are in your laptop?

Is there an option to configure this as two separate monitors, each 1920 x 1080? I assume that would be a MST comfig... I haven't played with one of these but that's what I deduce from posts here.

I have not use Matrox so much so I don't know so much more then the guide that help me to setup the config.
What I understand the Matrox does is make a big and wide solutions of two monitor and use a program to split it into two pieces
I can see in the Surface that it show a little screen (the build in screen) and a big external screen.
The laptop I did use was a old HP Probook 6465b that have build inside graphics card (AMD or maybe Intel but is not a powerful card)

leeshor

That Matrox box can do a single screen across multiple monitors or separate screens but the problem I have always had was spreading out higher resolutions with either a single desktop or multiple desktops. If you drove it to 3840x1080 and got a blank screen then either the DH2Go couldn't handle it or the monitor couldn't. That is typically what I see attaching a single monitor to a single system if you drive the monitor above it's designed refresh rate/resolution.

I'm not saying that the monitor is the problem but the Matrox sure could be.

OP
C

cazz

mm yes I was thinking (and even hope that is not the surface problem) but I know the monitor can use 1920x1080 and I know that Matrox have support for 3840x1080 (you can see it here http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital_se/)
3840 x 1080 (2x 1920 x 1080) 60Hz

It was then I was trying on a old laptop that did have DP to see if the problem was monitor or Matrox but it did show 3840x1080 then it have to be Surface.
I can try a little tomorrow, I did work a little to hard with the graphics drivers so now I have to make a clean reinstall of windows 8.1 on it :)

leeshor

I had that DH2Go mess me up once several years ago where I couldn't get a display at all. I don't remember what they told me to do but I had to call Matrox support. I think that was a rarity but be careful.

OP
C

cazz

The problem I did have was I did try a little diffrent drivers and edit them.

But does Surface have support for 3840x1080 in 60Hz?
if it have support for that I maybe can move on.
Maybe try Matrox for help to see what they say

I like to use Matrox when I have now buy it but I maybe have to buy a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter or even Docking Station that can use two miniDP at the sametime.
But that I don't want to do right now, I have just borrow the Surface from another team and I don't want to buy anything if I have to give it back :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
To my knowledge there's no mention of 3840 x 1080 resolution in any documentation I have seen either for the Surface or Intel i5 4300U. It supports 2 x 1920 x 1080.

Have you tried the latest Intel driver? You can set custom resolutions with the Intel control panel.

OP
C

cazz

yes I did download the latest from intel but still same problem.
I did even get very crazy color on my external monitor