What's new

Same old keyboard issues?

bsnguy

Anyone else having the new type cover keyboard on their SP4 stop working? Had this problem, a lot, on my SP3 and now it happened for the first time (had my SP4 since Monday and this is the first occurrence). The keyboard simply stops doing anything (no typing, no caps lock toggle, etc.) and a disconnect/reconnect will make it work, again.

Really frustrated by this. Had this problem several times a week with my SP3 and was hoping it was solved with the SP4 and new covers. It's not.

And, yes, I've talked with Microsoft about this numerous times, done the full power off reset, updated drivers, etc. Often, it seemed to fix things, but the problem always came back and one back, would fail every few days (at least).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I *never* experienced a keyboard failure on Windows 8.1/8 but yes it's been a frequent occurrence on Windows 10. Not just the Type Cover either, the on screen keyboard stops working too.

OP
B

bsnguy

I *never* experienced a keyboard failure on Windows 8.1/8 but yes it's been a frequent occurrence on Windows 10. Not just the Type Cover either, the on screen keyboard stops working too.

Interesting... Microsoft thought it was a hardware problem with my SP3 the first time I had it and replaced the keyboard. The second was was better, but still not good. Too bad this is still an issue; it's very frustrating.

I never (well, rarely) use the onscreen keyboard so didn't realize it's an issue, too. Such basic technology not being reliable is just plain odd. I wonder if non-Surface hardware is affected by this (I never had issues with keyboards or onscreen keyboards before my Surface, but I was not using W8, W8.1 or W10 on that hardware, either.