What's new

SB i5 to i7?

Inversion

I am pretty much done with the SBi5. Was working in excel and it crashed again. After system restart, my Outlook crashed. Chrome crashed 2x today.

I love the device but am not productive with all the restarts and I go backward in productivity when I lose work. Reminds me of the early days when I was clicking save constantly.

I'm wondering if the i7 would perform better. From scanning these forums, users with the i7 don't seem to have these issues.

Any thoughts?

Micropel

I am pretty much done with the SBi5. Was working in excel and it crashed again. After system restart, my Outlook crashed. Chrome crashed 2x today.

I love the device but am not productive with all the restarts and I go backward in productivity when I lose work. Reminds me of the early days when I was clicking save constantly.

I'm wondering if the i7 would perform better. From scanning these forums, users with the i7 don't seem to have these issues.

Any thoughts?

I purchased the i7 immediately less issues IMO.

Any thoughts?
I've had Office apps crash on my prior device just as much as my I5 SB, so don't depend too much on a device switch to solve that problem.

Chrome on the other I haven't had crash this much, but that doesn't happen too often.

Bennyhill43

I went from a I5 to I 7 and had more problems, I really don't think it's processor related. I have a friend who has the basic SB I5 no graphics (dGPU) card in the base and he's not had one issue. I'm really thinking all of the problems can be traced to the outboard graphics controllers

Last edited:

bjanssen

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I have the i5 (8gb, nvidia) with virtually no issues. The only issues I've had are DD crashes (probably had 3 since purchasing it almost a month ago) and it occasionally just sporadically switches itself into tablet mode and I have to switch it back (this happens once every 2 days or so). Annoying little things, but I can live with them.