What's new

Screen dimming

Sad Nation

I have only noticed this recently so I assume that it must be the last dodgy firmware update but my screen dims occasionally and then brightens up after a short while. This happens on battery or plugged in and when just in light use like internet, etc.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

jimkraz

This happens now and again if on auto light sensor even if you lean over it or pass in front of it, so don't worry. Jim

OP
S

Sad Nation

Turning the sensor off for being plugged in seems to have worked. I am still sure that this is another issue with the botched firmware update as I do not remember this happening before.

CrippsCorner

Surely it's just that the option for auto-dimming is turned on as default!? I don't know how anyone can say it's a firmware/software issue...

Nuspieds

Surely it's just that the option for auto-dimming is turned on as default!? I don't know how anyone can say it's a firmware/software issue...
Though it is still very much in the realm of possibility that firmware/software could be the root of the problem, all I know is that on my SP1, the dimming was bugging me to death and I thought I had a defective unit. Moreover, I didn't remember it always happening; consequently, I then started to believe that it was a result of a firmware update.

By the grace of God, I eventually stumbled on a thread on this site that discussed the Auto Dimming feature and that's when I discovered that setting and was able to disable it. Once disabled, I never had that dimming problem again.

For someone who likes maximum brightness all the time (i.e., plugged and unplugged), you don't know how grateful I was to find out about that setting! :D

godson594

Because turning it off doesn't fix it for everyone. Some of these units require different Intel drivers to be installed to fix the adaptive brightness bug. Not everyone's eyes are sensitive enough to see it as well...

CrippsCorner

Though it is still very much in the realm of possibility that firmware/software could be the root of the problem, all I know is that on my SP1, the dimming was bugging me to death and I thought I had a defective unit. Moreover, I didn't remember it always happening; consequently, I then started to believe that it was a result of a firmware update.

By the grace of God, I eventually stumbled on a thread on this site that discussed the Auto Dimming feature and that's when I discovered that setting and was able to disable it. Once disabled, I never had that dimming problem again.

For someone who likes maximum brightness all the time (i.e., plugged and unplugged), you don't know how grateful I was to find out about that setting! :D

Maximum? Impressive! I run my iPhone and my Surface at dead on 50% each... the iPhone is definitely brighter though. I've had them down in the 20's & 30's at night mind.

Nuspieds

Maximum? Impressive! I run my iPhone and my Surface at dead on 50% each... the iPhone is definitely brighter though. I've had them down in the 20's & 30's at night mind.
50%??!! 20s and 30s??!! What are you? A vampire?! :D

Coupled with my maximum settings is that I recently purchased these screen cleaners and they work really, really well. As a result, especially when I get on the plane, I am always cleaning the screen to make sure I get the most out of that maximum brightness setting. Yes, yes, yes, as you can see I am obsessed. :D