What's new

Seeking Feedback for My Casual Needs

SCVWholesale

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 LTE and I used it for notes, Sketch, some quick small photo work, and pictures with notes. With a camera/flash, and stylus getting a quick bid on a product or taking a picture of a business card writing notes, OCR the business card then emailing the whole pic with details to person just OCR'ed into my address book auto Google synced happens in about 45 seconds for me.

My Note is always on never needs to shut down. Charge it night and it goes all day. Ally my files are synced every 10min I don't think about it. It is light in my hands. I have lost the stylus three times but bought 5 on ebay for 20usd.

I also have a i7 surface there are not enough seamless apps developed yet to make my workflow smooth. Android has it all, it's more mature in this area.

I have a SP3 I use it for everything else.

I even use my Note 10.1 as a second wireless monitor to my SP3 during meetings Splashtop

I am looking forward to the Samsung Note 10.1 LTE 2014 edition

Gio
SP3 i7

OP
tskwara

tskwara

Thank you guys for the additional feedback!

The Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 was tempting after a quick test at the store the other day, but I later read on Android forums that a handful of users experienced data loss and difficulty with syncing/backing up.

As for the configuration necessary for my usage, I'm thinking the lowest configurations should do fine. Expanded uses that can certainly crop up later if all goes well, could warrant a bump in specs though.

Tsurugaya

If you are truly limiting yourself to doodling and note taking on a Windows machine you can shave some $3-400 of the i3 price by going for a Samsung Ativ 3 or if you can live with an 8" screen, an Asus Vivo Tab 8. They won't be as versatile as the Surface Pro 3 but they will fulfill your needs.

wynand32

Hmmm... I'm not sure that either of those machines will provide the same quality of inking as the SP3. First, I'm not sure of their digitizers (maybe they're decent enough, don't know), and second, the SP3's screen is sized pretty darn close to optimal in terms of duplicating a standard piece of paper. Certainly, an 8" screen won't be the same experience--it would be more like writing on a large post-it note, or a small paper notebook. :)

Personally, I'd spring for the extra cash for a Core i3 SP3. I don't find it hard to spread the extra investment over the two years or so I typically use a machine of this class, assuming that I can afford to spend the money at all.

OP
tskwara

tskwara

I agree the SP3 1.2 screen size and aspect ratio make it perfect for inking. Quite frankly I like the N-Trig experience better than Wacom.

I'm curious about how the N-Trig system works. It seems more responsive - wonder if the 8-bit pressure level gets resolved quicker - much less data than 12 or 13 bits with the Wacom system.

malberttoo

...If you are going to be living constantly comparing your experiences between the two OS then You will be living a miserable life.

I would recommend you the i5 version...

Well said Frank! I think you have to be willing to take each platform on its own, and not be trapped in the "this can do this better than that one" mentality.

+1 for the i5.

OP
tskwara

tskwara

Well here's a perfect example how my initial low-spec'd ambitions are already creeping upward. While I was planning to use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 7 on the SP3, last night I downloaded Corel Painter 2015 (Mac) and was blown away. What an incredible program!

So I was testing it out on my Macbook for now, and the experience confirmed my inability to effectively use a digitizing tablet without an integrated screen.

Has anyone tried using Corel Painter 2015 on the SP3? Does it seem like the i3 configuration would have trouble with this level of program?

On the surfaceproartist.com forum, one person mentioned his SP3 i7 was struggling, but that might be an isolated instance... who knows.