What's new

Set up Surface 3 with windows 10 pro edition

Gileraracer

Hi community,

a few month ago i got my surface 3, not the Pro edition but the one with Windows 10 Home. Now I got the chance to use it as my work device and therefor I got a Win10 Pro key from my it guy. Is it safe to set the device up with windows10 pro (with a new key) or will i get in trouble with the bios stored original windows 10 home key?

Thank you in advance!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a feature called Windows anytime upgrade... you should be able to do it with these steps.
In order to Install Windows 8.1 Pro go to control panel in upper right change view by to small icons, click on Add features, follow instructions and type your Windows 8.1 key when asked, follow instructions.

All the bits should be on the drive but only the unlocked features are installed.

Mine doesn't show this but I already upgraded it to Pro.

See this guide : Easily Change Windows 8.1 Edition without Reinstalling

Rock Flint

I am also thinking about doing a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. But I am wondering if Windows Update will install all of the hardware drivers I need or do I need to download them and install those drivers manually?

leeshor

I am also thinking about doing a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. But I am wondering if Windows Update will install all of the hardware drivers I need or do I need to download them and install those drivers manually?
Welcome to the forum

They continue to add driver support to the builds. Start by doing it. If you have issues there is a driver download link.

Rock Flint

Already downloaded the drivers posted there. I was hoping to hear from somebody who has already done the Win 10 Pro install so I could hear what if any problems he/she might have had.

Rock Hunter

Already downloaded the drivers posted there. I was hoping to hear from somebody who has already done the Win 10 Pro install so I could hear what if any problems he/she might have had.
Since Microsoft has drivers on the Surface web site for download I'm assuming that they would be necessary for a clean install. There are drivers for the camera, audio, screen, pen, etc. in the download package.

Yillbs

I too used to think that the pro version was useless, until I needed access to my companies VPN , PAC, and Proxy server, windows 10 home just doesn't give you what you need! good luck with the install!

Rock Flint

I've had laptops where the manufacturer loaded various things to the generic Windows install. Things such as an OEM startup screen. Often there were trial versions of programs such as Symantec AV and other non-essential crapware. But I don't see anything in my Surface that includes any of those extras. I can install a pristine copy of Windows Pro, which is a free download from Microsoft these days. Once installed I can add the drivers and other files from the Surface downloads page and I should be good to go. I haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll post a report here.

leeshor

I've had laptops where the manufacturer loaded various things to the generic Windows install. Things such as an OEM startup screen. Often there were trial versions of programs such as Symantec AV and other non-essential crapware. But I don't see anything in my Surface that includes any of those extras. I can install a pristine copy of Windows Pro, which is a free download from Microsoft these days. Once installed I can add the drivers and other files from the Surface downloads page and I should be good to go. I haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll post a report here.
There is no "free" upgrade path to Windows Pro. You can download it and install it but it probably won't activate.