Should I Upgrade To Pro?

Should I Upgrade?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No!

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

spc7jax

At the moment I have the Surface 3 (128 GB, 4 GB ram) which I bought from the good ole Costco. Right now they have a sale for the Surface Pro 3 (128 GB, 4 GB ram, intel core i5). I can still return my surface 3 and assuming the extra 300 bucks is not a problem should I upgrade? How much better will it be? Any cons?

Edit: I really enjoy my surface 3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
At the moment I have the Surface 3 (128 GB, 4 GB ram) which I bought from the good ole Costco. Right now they have a sale for the Surface Pro 3 (128 GB, 4 GB ram, intel core i5). I can still return my surface 3 and assuming the extra 300 bucks is not a problem should I upgrade? How much better will it be? Any cons?

Edit: I really enjoy my surface 3.
You haven't given enough information on what you are using it for and what your priorities are....I own both and use my S3 much more than my SP3....

Sp3 will be hotter and far more noisier than S3. Performance isn't leaps and bounds better than S3, but if you will be running CPU intensive programs then SP3 will be worth it.

My 2 cents and not knowing what you use the device for. Unless you were stepping up to an 8GB RAM model, I would stick with the S3. I have both as well and was really torn between the two. The S3 is lighter, silent, and the performance is excellent considering the price.

spinachpie

I have the SP3 i5, 256GB, 8GB Ram. It's great, but if I had known about the S3 beforehand, I would have bought the S3.

I love my SP3, but the extra portability with USB charging when travelling and smaller form factor greatly appeals to me.

BOBEL

I just brought a i5/128 from Costco I
love it I have no problems like I read from the
members on this forum There is the little
heat but the form factor is so small that is to be expeted. I say go for it.
Remember you have 90 days!! to ring out the pro plenty of time to see if you like the pro
with no problems. as I said do it.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It depends entirely on what you want to do. Both have their pros and their cons when compared and contrasted. I have both and I honestly don't know which I prefer. SP3 is powerful and loud and slightly inconvenient ss a tablet but great as a laptop. The S3 is a perfect tablet size, is silent, light, but is slow (when I say slow, its comparable to other tablets on the market, not laptops/ultrabooks) and the kickstand can be annoying because of the fixed angles.

Its all about your personal priorities and requirements.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You said you really enjoy your Surface 3. That's a good reason to keep it, continue enjoying it, don't upgrade.

The two devices are different not necessarily that one is better than the other. They have different strengths. In order for someone to gage one attribute is better we would need to know what the requirement or need is. How you use it is as important as well.

Back to you enjoying the S3 tells me, it's a good fit for what you're doing and the way you use it. The SP3 would be different, it's bigger, heavier, hotter, noisier, and also faster. Whether that matters or would be better or worse is really dependent on things not in evidence.