What's new

SP1 and Type cover problem

Arizona Willie

My SP1 has the type cover and it seems to have developed a problem.

When I shut the cover it no longer goes to sleep.

Yes, I checked the Power Settings and it is SUPPOSED to go to sleep when the cover is closed.

I have separated the screen and keyboard and put them back together, thinking that perhaps the connection had gotten disrupted but that didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas / suggestions / solutions / jokes?

malberttoo

My SP1 has the type cover and it seems to have developed a problem.

When I shut the cover it no longer goes to sleep.

Yes, I checked the Power Settings and it is SUPPOSED to go to sleep when the cover is closed.

I have separated the screen and keyboard and put them back together, thinking that perhaps the connection had gotten disrupted but that didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas / suggestions / solutions / jokes?

Do you live near a MS Store? You could try out your Surface with a new cover and see if it works. Assuming you did a reboot already, my guess is the cover is bad.

drolem

Try a hard reset -- it could be a SW issue.

The cover has a magnet in it, and unless it get demagnetized somehow, it's not going to go bad -- what may happen is that the hall effect sensor and the magnet doesn't line up properly, or there is too much gap between them.

Does the screen turn off when you close the cover?

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Try a hard reset -- it could be a SW issue.

The cover has a magnet in it, and unless it get demagnetized somehow, it's not going to go bad -- what may happen is that the hall effect sensor and the magnet doesn't line up properly, or there is too much gap between them.

Does the screen turn off when you close the cover?

Well, I dunno. Can't see the screen when it's closed. But I < think > it does.

I don't, unfortunately --- or perhaps fortunately for my bank account --- live near a Microsoft Store. There is one in Snotsdale Arizona but that's an hours drive or better. Supposedly they are opening one in Chandler but that's just about as far, maybe further, in the other direction.

Oh well, it isn't a big deal to manually put it to sleep or shut it down before closing the cover. I will try removing and replacing it a few times to see if it helps --- but I doubt it.