What's new

SP3 i5/256 @ 4k feels slow and laggy

Xiod

Hi all,

I own a SP3 i5/256GB/8GB which is connected to a 4k screen @60Hz (MST/Display Port Daisy Chaining) via dockingstation.

The problem is that working with it is not really smooth. Everthing feels laggy and slow. My old desktop (AMD Phenom 940) was much faster.

I checked for viruses, changed power profile to max. performance and used the ssd refresh tool to improve ssd performance. Nothing helped. After rebooting, the surface feels a little bit faster for a short time. But I don't want to reboot every day.

Does anyone have an idea how I could improve the performance?

Best regards,
Xiod

OP
X

Xiod

If I disable MST and just use SST and 30Hz. Its not really smoother.

I've tested SST and FullHD. Then then performance is ok. But I can't believe that the SP3 is not able to deliver a good performance with 4k.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clearly it's the upper limit of i5/i7 HD Graphics, it doesn't matter if it's SP3 or T43 and your desktop had what for a graphics card???

MST will try to do Tiled display, i.e. two 1920 x 2160 tiles stitched together for 3840 x 2160... a Kludge.

Is this a video? What's the format and what are you playing it with? ... or what's the use case?

OP
X

Xiod

Now I discovered that Chrome and Firefox both are causing this feeling of slowness. When I use Internet Explorer the whole Surface works smoother.

And yes, you were right, the use case was video playback. 4k Videos in Chrome/Firefox are no fun but perfect with Internet Explorer.

Thanks for your help!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now I discovered that Chrome and Firefox both are causing this feeling of slowness. When I use Internet Explorer the whole Surface works smoother.

And yes, you were right, the use case was video playback. 4k Videos in Chrome/Firefox are no fun but perfect with Internet Explorer.

Thanks for your help!
With the added benefit of longer battery life with IE as well.