What's new

SP3 pen to control powerpoint presentation??

cemian

Anyone know if it is possible to control a powerpoint presentation from any of the buttons on the sp3 pen? could be useful if this could work..,

HvT

I like the idea. Perhaps with EventGhost to send cursor keys on tail button click/double click. Pen buttons down the barrel will not work.

bluegrass

Ya. That would be nice. Has anyone checked how far the Bluetooth button on the pen will work reliably. A lot of times the PowerPoint presenter is a bit of a distance from the computer. Of course the swipe or keyboard will change slides, but the point is to be able to do it remotely.

mohcho

Couldn't you just get a BT presentation remote then? I thought the OP was going to be holding the pen near their SP3 annotating while presenting, that's why I mentioned the gesture swiping.

agt499

Resurrecting an old thread because I had this question last night, and found an answer I'm happier with.
I use Autohotkey to help with the missing buttons on the type cover, and it turned out great for this.

At the simplest you can add these lines which will enable single-pen-click to next slide, and double-pen-click to go back
#IfWinExist, ahk_class screenClass
#F20:: Send {PgDn}
#F19:: Send {PgUp}
Return
The pen still launches OneNote otherwise.

The only trick was that if you had a slideshow up anywhere it still pushes the keys to the active windows: this ugly but annotated version fixes that

; Use Surface Pen Button as Powerpoint Control
; Kudos for first clues at http://superuser.com/questions/7771...cation-opened-by-the-surface-pro-3s-pen-butto
; and http://www.kennylowe.org/2014/09/11/surface-pro-3-pen-button-customisation/
; Only try if in presentation mode (screenClass)
; -so pen launches Onenote as normal at all other times
#IfWinExist, ahk_class screenClass
; F20 is SINGLE click of pen button
#F20::
; check that a powerpoint window is focussed
if (WinActive("ahk_class PPTFrameClass")) or (WinActive("ahk_class screenClass"))
; send Page Down to advance slide
Send {PgDn}
; F19 is DOUBLE click of pen button
#F19::
; check that a powerpoint window is focussed
if (WinActive("ahk_class PPTFrameClass")) or (WinActive("ahk_class screenClass"))
; send Page Up to go to previous slide
Send {PgUp}
Return​

OP
C

cemian

Thanks for sharing! I tried to download autohotkey 1.1 and avast just goes crazy...i disabled it for 10 mins and still after installed alerts go off...needless to say i just uninstalled autohotkey but sounds like an interesting solution and possibly could work with avast if everything gets set as a false positive

agt499

Thanks for sharing! I tried to download autohotkey 1.1 and avast just goes crazy...i disabled it for 10 mins and still after installed alerts go off...needless to say i just uninstalled autohotkey but sounds like an interesting solution and possibly could work with avast if everything gets set as a false positive
Mysterious about Avast - AHK is very kosher if you're getting from the official site.
The PPT control is working nicely for me -I only looked at using the pen based on the paucity of nice looking bluetooth presenters, but it's nice and robust.