I've been slightly offput by my experience with this device:
- Purchased the SP3 dock to get 2x external monitors
- Attached two external ASUS 1080P monitors over HDMI
- Every time the surface went to sleep in the dock in this configuration it crashed
- I thought "well this sucks, at least I can sleep the monitors and not sleep the computer"
- I discovered that doing a monitor sleep without computer sleep has been disabled via Connected Standby and the only solution is a regedit which is a huge hack and removes sleep functionality entirely.