What's new

SP4 performance and specification speculation

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
SP3 uses a Haswell U Series 15W TDP i5 or i7 processor (ignoring the entry i3 Y series unit).

Assuming SP4 continues using the U series chips which is what I would expect to continue the highest performance possible.

Broadwell U Series improvements over Haswell U were in the range of
20% 3D Graphics
50% Video Conversion
4% Productivity (CPU)
1.5 hr battery life.

Skylake U Series improvements over Broadwell U are in the range of
16-34% (25%) better 3D Graphics Performance
xx% better video performance with new dedicated video processing units.
15% CPU performance (productivity)
25% better battery life (1.4x)

Summing up:
45% 3D Graphics Performance improvement
50+xx% video performance improvement
20% CPU performance improvement
3 hr better battery life OR an opportunity to reduce weight with a smaller battery or some combination of longer battery and less weight.

Other considerations:
SSD advancements should allow for faster, lighter, lower power Disk Performance.
Screen technology advancements should allow for lower power consumption, thinner, and lighter weight

Advancements in cooling technology such as Teflon coating to reduce airflow drag etc. resulting in 98% of peak thermal load capacity.

Miscellaneous:
.2-.3 pound weight reduction 1.46 - 1.56 pounds for 12.1 inch unit.
9 - 10 hr battery life.
Almost no throttling for most workloads.

Last edited:

bluegrass

"Advancements in cooling technology such as Teflon coating to reduce airflow drag etc. resulting in 98% of peak thermal load capacity."

I can remember when Teflon hit it big-time in the cookware industry. I think it was in the early to mid 50's.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Advancements in cooling technology such as Teflon coating to reduce airflow drag etc. resulting in 98% of peak thermal load capacity."

I can remember when Teflon hit it big-time in the cookware industry. I think it was in the early to mid 50's.

And 60 years later it's still a load of crap that any real chef would steer well clear of :D

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Serves: Four 1) Brown the onions and celery in a frying pan for around 10 minutes on a high heat

2) Add the owl, turning until cooked through After about 5 minutes, turn down the heat and add the veg, sultanas, coconut, curry paste and some cumin and turmeric. Simmer for around ten minutes

3) Shortly before serving, mix in the cream and stir well

Serve with pilau or long grain rice

Maybe owl snot is like the countrysides temale :)

I know there's like 100x more people with Apple "stuff" than Surfaces, but I'm amazed how nobody has yet to have any pictures, real specs on the Surface Pro 4 when Apple, who used to be so tight on information, you can find stuff in patent information, people getting photos at manufacturing plants, etc.

Btw, I see how even Sony's new VIAO line is getting a PEN. Since MS had view of Apple's pencil, and now others are adding pens. I hope it has angle detection and they fix the edge detection on the screen.

About the VAIO pen:
"Display glass is reinforced from all six surfaces. The stylus nib has been optimized and the screen composition textured with a layer of resin between the touch panel and LCD in order to recreate a pen-to-paper experience as closely as possible. The stylus itself recognizes 1024 levels of pressure, four-point curve detection and two buttons to open up OneNote for a quick draw or an instant screen clipping tool."

CrippsCorner

Regarding Apple Vs Microsoft on leaks... I'm not sure which method I prefer the most. With Apple, things get leaked because they reveal a product then bang, in 2 weeks time you can have it in your hands. With Microsoft, you have to wait a lot longer, the extended manufacturing hasn't occurred yet, meaning there's a lot less people to leak anything!