What's new

SP8 New User Questions

DavidZ

I don't see an SP8 forum, so I'll post my questions here if that's OK.

I'm playing around with my new SP8 and have some questions:

1) Is there a User Guide?

2) If your SP8 is unplugged and your keyboard is attached with the pen in the cradle, is the pen charging? If so, how much does that shorten the battery life for that day?

3) Is there a way to see how much the pen battery is charged other than the very crude way of looking at the led light on the pen? My phone tells me exactly how much my Bluetooth headset battery is charged.

4) Is the SP8 charger identical/interchangeable with my old SP4 charger? I think so, but I'd like to know for sure.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the SP4 charger was a lower wattage charger than the SP8 charger. I believe the SP4 charger would charge the SP8 but it would take longer.

It looks like the original SP4 charger output specs were: 12V 2.58A ~31W + 5V 1A 5W for the USB port for a total of 36W
The SP8 charger output is 15V 4A 60W + 5V 1A 5W for the USB port.

The chargers are compatible but different.
I suspect if plugged into the SP4 the SP8 charger would negotiate down to 12V 2.58A.
i.e. It would take as long to charge as with the SP4 charger.
I don't know for sure.
The standard SP4 charger will not provide higher power to an SP8 it would just charge slower.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a user guide?
Not that I can find.
There is some online stuff here Surface Pro help & learning - Microsoft Support
here Surface Pro 8 features
and here Powerhouse Performance | See Surface Book 2 Specs Here <<< I don't know why this link is being edited by the system the real title is Welcome to Surface

There's a few Kindle Edition books available on Amazon for a few bucks
Amazon.com.au : Surface Pro 8 User Guide
I saw the second one cheaper as a direct download PDF somewhere, they both may be...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How you check your battery depends on the device you have and the version of Windows you have.

Windows 11

Select Start > Bluetooth & devices. Under Mouse, keyboard, & pen, look for Surface Slim Pen or Surface Slim Pen 2.

Windows 10

Select Start > Settings > Bluetooth & devices. Look for Surface Slim Pen or Surface Slim Pen 2 to see how much battery is left.

from here

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
2) If your SP8 is unplugged and your keyboard is attached with the pen in the cradle, is the pen charging? If so, how much does that shorten the battery life for that day?

I don't really know ... I predict not much it's a tiny battery
I've noticed the light come on briefly when attaching it ... in my case, I don't use it a lot so it's likely mostly charged. I think it would charge to a point or if it's below a point then stop charging when full. The keyboard IMO will be the bigger draw.