What's new

Spotify stops playing on screen off

swain

Xbox music continues to play when the screen turns off, how do I get Spotify to do the same?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using the website? If so, use desktop IE as MUI IE stops when not in focus...

kundas1

don't use Spotify, but you might have to go into the "settings" and perhaps activate it?

OP
S

swain

Mmm no such setting. Seems like a power management issue.

Xbox music lacks curated playlists and social integration the last time I checked.

are there other options?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are on battery the system will go into Connected Standby and suspend your desktop applications including IE or Spotify. They just updated their Windows Phone App so there is hope that they will code a MUI App in the near future....

mcsenerd

I use an app from the Windows Store called Spotlite. It's not official, but it's worked very well for me thus far.

*DS*

Yep, this is pretty damn annoying.

Xbox music: plays even in connected standby (which is a neat design feature).
Windows Media Player: keeps the system awake, which is sensible.
Spotify: bedebyes ...

Is there a fix for this?

And are there any other other scenarios with similar narcoleptic behaviour: torrents, downloads, file transfers?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
WinRT APIs have a Media API that allows playing in CS but the developer needs to write their code to use it.... this issue for most developers is that to create an App that passes certification it can't consume more 5% Battery while in CS over 8 hours while streaming so it requires very efficient coding....

Hernán Patané

Follow these steps. It worked for me with Windows 10:

1) (Follow the steps in the link) http://www.lovemysurface.net/turn-off-the-screen-on-surface-tablets/

2) *The next step is to edit the registry. Proceed as carefully as if you were editing your bank account. Type “REGEDIT” in the windows search and open regedit.exe. Under Edit, you’ll click on “find” (Ctrl-F), enter “CsEnabled” in the field and let the search engine find the following registry item: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled
The status will be enabled (a 1 appears in the parenthesis at the end of the statement) press ENTER and a pop-up registry entry editing screen appears allowing you to change the value to 0 (that’s a zero). You have just disabled connected standby in the registry. Close the registry editor window and reboot the computer. I edited power settings and set the power button to do nothing in battery mode ( there are other ways to turn off the computer). Viola! If, while playing music, you select Display Off on the right-click pop-up display menu, the screen goes black and the music keeps playing…