What's new

SPro3 Win10 Require Sign-in if you've been away

Hi All,
I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 on a surface pro 3 i5
I take a lot of notes on my tablet. Under 8.1, I would .
  1. take some notes,
  2. hit the power button to turn off
  3. Hit the power button again
  4. take some more notes
Now I have to log in every time, which is obviously annoying.
Under Settings>Accounts>Sign-in options I have the Require sign-in set to 15 minutes.
Under 8.1, this worked exactly like you would think. If I didn't hit the power button for 15 minutes, I would have to log in again. Now it doesn't matter what Require sign-in time is set to.
Any thoughts?

Garyjk

open control panel
open power options
click change plan settings
click change advanced power settings
set require password on wakeup to no

Kris

open control panel
open power options
click change plan settings
click change advanced power settings
set require password on wakeup to no

Wouldn't this cause it to never require a password?
I want it to only require a password if inactive for 15 minutes or more.
At the moment this is a bug even telling it not to require a password doesn't work. The only way to get rid of the required password is a editing the registry to take away the lock screen. That does not sound like something you want to do so for the moment you are stuck with it.

OP
D

Darth Boredwitis

nope, need to password protect it.
Thank you so much, at least I won't bang my head against the wall trying to figure anything else out.

dleuen

At the moment this is a bug even telling it not to require a password doesn't work. The only way to get rid of the required password is a editing the registry to take away the lock screen. That does not sound like something you want to do so for the moment you are stuck with it.

I have to agree that this lock behavior really cripples the SP3. I really hope it is a bug and not some grand brilliant design by Microsoft to enhance security. It should be pretty basic that I should be able to tell the system when I want it to be locked and when I don't. If it is a bug I'm really surprised that it isn't fixed already. As a software developer this doesn't sound like rocket science and should have never been broken and should have been easy to fix already. I'm concerned.

Kris

I have to agree that this lock behavior really cripples the SP3. I really hope it is a bug and not some grand brilliant design by Microsoft to enhance security. It should be pretty basic that I should be able to tell the system when I want it to be locked and when I don't. If it is a bug I'm really surprised that it isn't fixed already. As a software developer this doesn't sound like rocket science and should have never been broken and should have been easy to fix already. I'm concerned.

Been a bug for a while now, the had it on the last few TP builds if I remember right. I will keep saying it, "I love Windows 10 but it was released before it was ready." They did a rush job getting it out the doors, now they are basking in the glory of their unfinished product making promises to fix things sometime in October, or when ever they get around to it. We get what we paid for, and for most of that it was nothing...
But still better than Windows 8.1, I am trying to find work arounds while I wait for MS to fix the more irritating issues.

CrippsCorner

Password signing in is very frustrating on Windows 10... it still asks me even when I've selected every option not to :( it rarely leaves my flat so there's absolutely no need for any passwords.

Kris

Password signing in is very frustrating on Windows 10... it still asks me even when I've selected every option not to :( it rarely leaves my flat so there's absolutely no need for any passwords.
So why no do the registry hack and get rid of the lock screen and fix the problem?