What's new

Surface 2 storage question

FoxForce5

As I understand it I will be unable to store Apps & games on microSD card on my Surface 2 (when it arrives...OMG I want it NOW) under Windows 8.1.

However, I can store Apps & games on my 64gb microSD card on my Nokia Lumia 830 which also runs Windows 8.1 (???).
My question is, in theory:
1. Should I be able to put SD card in my phone & download games/Apps then put the same card in Surface 2?
2. Will it recognise and act upon it?
3. Will all games I download via my MS account automatically appear on S2 anyway?

Sorry...that should have been I have a few questions. Any help would be appreciated.

oion

No, the Nokia Lumia 830 uses Windows PHONE 8.1, which supports that ability to install apps to the SD card. Windows Phone and Windows (and Windows RT) are separate OSes, and that will change with Windows 10.

If moving from one Windows 8.x device to another (not phone), and using the same Microsoft account login, you should be able to sync most settings and apps that way. But whether a Windows Phone 8.1 app is compatible with Windows 8.1 RT--maybe Jeff or someone can correct me--according to a brief blurb I found somewhere, it seems a given WP8.1 app must be purposefully written to use the application model ("universal" something something). So there's no guarantee that what WP8.1 apps you do have on your phone will be compatible with Surface 2....

OP
FoxForce5

FoxForce5

No, the Nokia Lumia 830 uses Windows PHONE 8.1, which supports that ability to install apps to the SD card. Windows Phone and Windows (and Windows RT) are separate OSes, and that will change with Windows 10.

If moving from one Windows 8.x device to another (not phone), and using the same Microsoft account login, you should be able to sync most settings and apps that way. But whether a Windows Phone 8.1 app is compatible with Windows 8.1 RT--maybe Jeff or someone can correct me--according to a brief blurb I found somewhere, it seems a given WP8.1 app must be purposefully written to use the application model ("universal" something something). So there's no guarantee that what WP8.1 apps you do have on your phone will be compatible with Surface 2....

Thanks for the info...much appreciated. Only jumped onto Windows platform in past 6 weeks so still a learning curve for me.