What's new

Surface 3 pro USB port problem

Elkhan

Having a problem with connection of an external LG Ultra Slim DVD Writer (model GP60NB50) to my Surface Pro 3 (direct connection, no hubs). It recognize the device but you try to read the files or play DVD it disconnects it and reconnects after 10 sec. And keep trying until there is a message appears "Power surge on USB port. The USB device needs more power than USB port can supply".
The DVD Writer is brand new, latest model and designed to work from single USB port (no powered, no AC adapter). It works perfectly fine with 2 other laptops I have tried with. I wonder why Surface Pro 3's USB port has not enough power to play external devices. It seems to me that it has been deliberately UNDER POWERED.
I am really disappointed that for such price (I got 512Gb with type cover for $2300) it has got only 1 USB port and so it is under-powered not being able to play any external device.
Anyone can suggest what is the solution? How to watch DVDs (or use physical discs) on Surface Pro 3?

OP
E

Elkhan

Have tried Y cable with one side connected to external USB power outlet but did not help. Now it was "overpowered"

gdir

I have an Samsung SE-218CN external DVD writer at home. I've bought it for my Dell XPS 15, but never used it apart from an initial test with the XPS 15. I'll have a look at it later to see if it works with the SP3.

Does it make a difference if your SP3 is on AC or on battery?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it doesn't work with a Y cable connected to an external power source either the DVD drive or the Y cable is defective or the external power source is not working, turned off, or unplugged.

OP
E

Elkhan

No, it does not make any difference with AC or on battery. I have tried some data CDs. I could see the files, open text documents but disconnects when I try to install the software.
Y cable is working. I am using it to connect external HDD to desktop. I have connected it to USB wall charger and it said "overpowered' and I had to reset the SP3 otherwise USB port would not work at all.
Called Microsoft. They are hopeless. After hanging on the lines 1,5 hours the only useful information I had that the SP3 USB port provides up to 5V only. I still have no idea how much V required for DVD Writer.
Will buy powered USB Hub tomorrow and try. If it will not help will return the product

unruledboy

No, it does not make any difference with AC or on battery. I have tried some data CDs. I could see the files, open text documents but disconnects when I try to install the software.
Y cable is working. I am using it to connect external HDD to desktop. I have connected it to USB wall charger and it said "overpowered' and I had to reset the SP3 otherwise USB port would not work at all.
Called Microsoft. They are hopeless. After hanging on the lines 1,5 hours the only useful information I had that the SP3 USB port provides up to 5V only. I still have no idea how much V required for DVD Writer.
Will buy powered USB Hub tomorrow and try. If it will not help will return the product

the voltage should be mentioned at the back of ur dvd writer, or google it

gdir

Don’t think about the voltage, look for the current. Apart from the future USB 3.1 all current USB standards from 1.0 to the 3.0 in the SP3 have the same voltage of 5 V.

USB 2.0 and 3.0 differ in maximum current. An USB 3.0 port should provide a maximum of 900 mA. With USB 2.0 it was only 500 mA.

fonzman78

Anyone can suggest what is the solution? How to watch DVDs (or use physical discs) on Surface Pro 3?

I didn't think folks used external players any more. Usually you rip movies and copy to disk or stream. You also create ISO's of your software programs.

Just curious, how many folks out there still using an external DVD player?

tuchas

The only time I use an external optical drive is to archive files, like videos and music. And that's pretty seldom, maybe once every two months. DVDs and BluRay movies are pretty much obsolete unless you are looking for extras, commentary, etc - and now you can get that from iTunes anyway.

gdir

I just tried my Samsung SE-128CN external DVD writer. It's an USB 2.0 device without an own power supply. It's supposed to be powered through the USB cable, the required current is not specified. It works without any problems on my Dell XPS 15 laptop.

I get the same issue as Elkhan with his LG drive. At first connect the driver is automatically installed, and the directory of the DVD is read. When I try to copy something, the action runs for a few seconds and then the drive gets disconnect because of the lack of power.

This happens on battery as well as on AC. Sadly I think it's a flaw in the design of the SP3.

In contrast to that I have used an external WD hard drive and a Sandisk USB stick, both USB 3.0, in the last days without any problems.

MiloTheGreat

I also had this problem.

I plugged the dumb end of the Y cable into the USB on the PSU, and that didn't help.

It looked more like a USB hub driver/USB device driver mis-match.

I had to plug the DVD into another laptop and network share in the end.....