What's new

Surface Book 2 - will you buy/upgrade?

JaeMelo

Upgrade? No. In fact I'm going to jump ship from the SB line.

I bought the i5 256GB dGPU SB in Dec 2015 for around $1800. I've been generally pleased with it (especially typing experience and 3:2 aspect ratio. However, while I do flip my SB around and use it in Stand Mode, I hardly ever use it as a tablet. So I feel like I'm paying extra for something I don't use, and feel that a yoga laptop form factor would work just as well for me.

I had high hopes for the SB2, but it seems that they basically just upgraded the processor and GPU (no form factor changes) in the 13" model, and charging at least $2000 for a 8th gen processor. Therefore I'm seriously giving the hp spectre x360 consideration, especially the 15" model. I get an 8th processor, pen input, yoga form factor and a dGPU that's better than my current SB all for less than $1400.

I will miss the 3:2 aspect ratio though.
I'm with you down to the T... Microsoft is already showing signs of complacency like Apple and their recycled iPhone designs.

Nuspieds

I've been eagerly awaiting this second generation and was resigned to it coming in Spring 2018 but am now extremely happy to see it coming this year.

I will definitely be pre-ordering.

But they really still need to address getting a kickstand for the screen when being used as a tablet.

Afy

I was leaning towards the Porsche Book One, but now I am going to get the SB2, not sure if I get the 13 inch or 15 inch i7 16GB. Am interested in VR capabilities so probably the 15 inch.

Orlbuckeye

One odd thing in the specs that had my hopes up - actually a difference of opinion. The "specs" page only lists a 16GB memory config for the 15", but the configurations list an 8GB low end model. I was hoping to be able to go with the minimal 15" config if it came with the i7+16GB as standard, but based on the configs I would likely upgrade to the 16/512 model.

On the other hand, my current 512 model, though less than half full, is full enough that I'd be running a 256 model at 70-80% full - so it would be better to get the 512 model anyway just to ensure that the SSD keeps a comfortable amount of free space for performance stability.

Well I purchased the Micro SSD adapter from Amazon to add storage space on my SB.
https://www.amazon.com/BASEQI-Alumi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E4ST6DTE1XMTNN4J3ARS

jason10mm

I wonder if the SB2 13" base will be compatible with a SB1 and if MS would consider selling the base separately. I doubt it since they didn't do it with the performance base, but it'd be really nice since the SB isn't user upgradeable in any meaningful way other than base or tablet replacement. Why keep the same form factor but not allow owners to mix/match?

Also, any word if the USB-C will support an external GPU?

I'm with Bearflag. I don't use the tablet mode nearly as often as I thought I would, but having a laptop again reminded me of all the negative issues I had with the SP+keyboard combo. So I'm unlikely to buy a SP or SB2 whole hog, but could probably be lured into getting just a new base one year, then a new tablet the next. Maybe the Surface Laptop is worth a look if it gets some of the SB2 performance features.

Cimmerian

I wonder if the SB2 13" base will be compatible with a SB1 and if MS would consider selling the base separately. I doubt it since they didn't do it with the performance base, but it'd be really nice since the SB isn't user upgradeable in any meaningful way other than base or tablet replacement. Why keep the same form factor but not allow owners to mix/match?

Also, any word if the USB-C will support an external GPU?

I'm with Bearflag. I don't use the tablet mode nearly as often as I thought I would, but having a laptop again reminded me of all the negative issues I had with the SP+keyboard combo. So I'm unlikely to buy a SP or SB2 whole hog, but could probably be lured into getting just a new base one year, then a new tablet the next. Maybe the Surface Laptop is worth a look if it gets some of the SB2 performance features.

The USB-C port is just that, no Thunderbolt, therefore will not support eGPUs. Part of me hopes they announce a new dock allowing this but seeing as I've grown content with keeping a desktop and a laptop it doesn't effect me as it once did.

A little disappointing to me that it isn't Thunderbolt, I personally believe there should be a USB-C / Thunderbolt connector on the clipboard portion as well as one on the keyboard. Also would like a kickstand on the clipboard portion, that way with a kickstand and thunderbolt the clipboard would be much more usedable on it's own.

Oh well, I think design changes will come next year, this year was a BIG spec increase (which is mostly what I was asking for), kind of reminds me of the Surface Pro 1 & 2. I believe the Surface Book 3 much like the Surface Pro 3 will have the most ground breaking design improvements, all just conjecture.

OP
F

flar

Well I purchased the Micro SSD adapter from Amazon to add storage space on my SB.
https://www.amazon.com/BASEQI-Alumi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E4ST6DTE1XMTNN4J3ARS
For data that is fine, but the vast majority of what I'm storing on my SB is programs and I want them on the internal drive. I do use external sd cards and network storage for most of my data already, but I want all my programs local. I can install all of those programs so that they use 60-70% of a 256GB model, or I can buy a 512GB model and run the SSD at only 30-40% full. I'd rather do the latter...

MOFO

Man dat price!
They both have to run flawlessly without thermal or power throttling and still have relatively good fan profiles ( not loud ) .
I’m very interested but will wait for reviews before deciding to go all in.
It will be interesting to see how much a difference the 1050 and 1060 in these models really is for gaming. I have a pretty good idea what to expect from each GPU on paper but it’s what you get in real world performance that really matters.
Like what I’m seeing so far.

Orlbuckeye

Man dat price!
They both have to run flawlessly without thermal or power throttling and still have relatively good fan profiles ( not loud ) .
I’m very interested but will wait for reviews before deciding to go all in.
It will be interesting to see how much a difference the 1050 and 1060 in these models really is for gaming. I have a pretty good idea what to expect from each GPU on paper but it’s what you get in real world performance that really matters.
Like what I’m seeing so far.

Well remember all the media have models and are doing reviews so feedback is available already.

Deryl McCarty

I am not much of a hi-frame rate gamer, but with a 1060 and a 15" screen can see myself going retro and doing FPS type stuff, though not multi-player. But it seems that at 4.2 GHz turbo there ain't much you can't do with this computer in the day to day arena - and quickly. So I plan to get the 15" i7, but my sticking point is SSD. I also have gotten the Qi based reader and a 200 GB SDXC for my SB1. I therefore see myself needing only a 256GB SSD. Alas its not an available choice unless you are willing to give up 8GB in RAM - which I am not. So I guess it will be the 512 i7 15" machine. Form factor is just fine for me and I do go to WAAAY too many meetings and take notes with a pen on the tablet. Yeah, I could probably just get a Surface Laptop or the SP 2017 or 2018 (??) but the SB case and materials just feel right to me.

I can see, however, that at 2899 plus tax and license and "fees" this could be a "skipper" computer for me. I.e., buy this one and not get the next one or two generations of follow on machines. And this one, with Win10 CU or Insider RS4 could get me involved in VR or MR. We shall see. But for now, its an SB2-15 for me and I am willing to take the heat from my personal banker (wife of 47 years).

OP
F

flar

Current models of SB are $350 off at Best Buy, making the 16/512/Performance Base model $2449 and the new similar 16/512/1060 model $450 more expensive...

wynand32

Upgrade? No. In fact I'm going to jump ship from the SB line.

I bought the i5 256GB dGPU SB in Dec 2015 for around $1800. I've been generally pleased with it (especially typing experience and 3:2 aspect ratio. However, while I do flip my SB around and use it in Stand Mode, I hardly ever use it as a tablet. So I feel like I'm paying extra for something I don't use, and feel that a yoga laptop form factor would work just as well for me.

I had high hopes for the SB2, but it seems that they basically just upgraded the processor and GPU (no form factor changes) in the 13" model, and charging at least $2000 for a 8th gen processor. Therefore I'm seriously giving the hp spectre x360 consideration, especially the 15" model. I get an 8th processor, pen input, yoga form factor and a dGPU that's better than my current SB all for less than $1400.

I will miss the 3:2 aspect ratio though.

I'm a pretty big fan of the HP Spectre x360 15. I wrote a review of it and gave it pretty high marks, and I've had occasion to use the previous model for a few months. I'm waiting to get my hands on the updated version (8th-gen Intel Core, MX150) to see how it impacts battery life.

Before the SB2 15" was announced, I was pretty set on the Spectre as my 2017 notebook purchase (will benefit this year from the tax write-off). Now, I'm torn. Some of my own considerations:

1. Display: The Spectre has true 4K UHD, making it my favorite for watching Netflix 4K video. I usually watch stuff late at night in bed after the wife is asleep, and putting the Spectre into media mode with headphones is a great experience. On the other hand, the SB2 15" has the nice 3:2 aspect ratio that's actually better for working. As an investment, that makes more sense even if it won't be able to display true 4K video. Also, while the Spectre has a very nice display in terms of contrast and brightness, it's nowhere near even the SB 13. If the SB2 has an even higher contrast and brighter display, then that's a huge plus in its favor.

2. GPU: That's a huge one for me. My wife's work as a designer would benefit tremendously from the GTX 1060 in the SB2 15". So it would be a machine that we both could make use of. The MX150, by my own testing, slots in almost exactly between the 940MX in the previous Spectre (and oldest SB) and the GTX 1050. Obviously, a GTX 1060 is significantly more powerful, and while that doesn't matter for what I do, it matters a lot for my wife.

3. Battery life: The Spectre gets decent battery life, but at 79 watt-hours with that 4K display, it's not great. The SB2 15" would offer significantly better battery life.

So, yes, the Spectre 16GB/512GB comes in at around $1550, and the SB2 15" 16GB/512GB is (I think) going to be around $2800, there are some really compelling reasons for me to spend the extra money (and to save a bit of it thanks to the tax write-off).

However, if my wife wouldn't benefit from the GTX 1060 in the SB2 15", though, I'd probably end up with the Spectre. It really is a very nice machine.

Note that the Lenovo Yoga 720 has the Core i7-7700HQ (still faster than the 8th-gen Core i7-8550U) and GTX 1050, and so it's another nice alternative. Only problem with that machine is the 70 watt-hour battery that would get killed if you get it with 4K -- and you'd really want to get it with 4K.

Last edited: