What's new

Surface Book 2

OP
S

Sadsaytr

I separated the keyboard from the monitor (Clipboard) with no change. I have attached a picture that always comes up from power on.

Attachments

• Surface Book Error.jpg
    Surface Book Error.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 306
OP
S

Sadsaytr

Hi sharpuser, here's the problem before splitting the keyboard from the clipboard, I tried using an original MS boot USB thumb-drive It did not see the drive. Of course, that was after my pressing F8 and set the boot to only USB. I know it is dangerous to assume, but I should be able to put the two haves together press F8 and change the setting...RIGHT???
At any rate, I have nothing to lose by trying. (SIGH)

Plantje

I see the issue here as apart from the microphone jack there is no port on the clipboard part...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure all those blade connectors on the keyboard base are clean before you re-attach.

OP
S

Sadsaytr

I discovered late yesterday that the screen has two cracks. Do you think this could be the root cause??

Attachments

• Screen Cracks.jpg
    Screen Cracks.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 290

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Oh my. That’s the problem. Looks like a fall onto the right side of the screen. May be other issues too.

OP
S

Sadsaytr

That is my thinking. No I didn't really see the cracks until my thumb felt something then I got the clipboard in an angle that allowed me to see the cracks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If you replace the Surface Pro 2, the keyboard is still useful as a spare. I use two Surface Book 2 computers, and found that the keyboard unit is interchangeable. The computer itself (clipboard) has no idea which is which. Also, you could sell the base unit alone.

OP
S

Sadsaytr

I had thought about that and looked at what eBay had to offer. I didn't see anything that was either in my price range or worth bidding on.
So at this point, I may list it as parts only.
MANY thanks to you sharpuser and Plantje for you timely responses and help.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, @Sadsaytr, for your patience. Sorry to know about your broken Surface Book 2. I believe it to be a very hardy and sturdy machine. I hope you can replace it with something that works.

If you do replace it with another PC, your OneDrive account has backups of all your files. You can visit OneDrive.com on the Web or a smartphone (app) to view or manage those documents. When you register a new PC, OneDrive will bring them in and sync up.