What's new

Surface Pro 2 Firmware and Driver Pack

mennogreg

Not suggesting anyone install this, but Microsoft has released Surface Pro 2 firmware and drivers targeted towards enterprise users. It looks to be a complete firmware/driver package, as its 158MB in size. Its listed as compatible with Windows 8.1 Pro and 8.1 Enterprise. Just throwing it out there for those who are computer literate and who want the October firmware/driver package with the January "fixes" provided by Microsoft.

January2014SurfacePro2.zip

158.1 MB

Surface Ethernet Adpater.zip

46 KB

Surface Pro - Enterprise Deployment Quick Start Guide-June2013.pdf

388 KB

Surface Pro - Enterprise Deployment Quick Start Guide-June2013_JP.PDF

890 KB

Download Surface Pro 2 firmware and driver pack from Official Microsoft Download Center

Last edited:

eelpout

Interesting, it's still the October .150 Marvell driver, not the newer .160 that some people have received.

eelpout

Could you use this to re-install the October update if you had the newer version?
If you uninstalled the driver and had its files completely removed as part of that process, probably yes.

That newer .160 WiFi driver must have been part of the December update, which since so few received is why it's scarce. Wonder why they're holding it back.

Today, windows update shows me an system hardware update. Has anyone a guess for what it is? (i have installed the january firmware update)

Today, windows update shows me an system hardware update. Has anyone a guess for what it is? (i have installed the january firmware update)

Ok found it. I is an update for the surfacecoveraudio ver. 2.0.51.0 date 01/08/2014. But the ver. in the january driver package is 2.0.73.0 date 08/27/2013. That is strange.

Dayton

If you uninstalled the driver and had its files completely removed as part of that process, probably yes.

That newer .160 WiFi driver must have been part of the December update, which since so few received is why it's scarce. Wonder why they're holding it back.

One of the recent releases is bugged, not sure which one probably should have looked before doing a remove including driver in order to get my wireless NIC working again. I let Windows Update install .150 but if I have issues I will go back to the August driver.

jrapdx

One of the recent releases is bugged, not sure which one probably should have looked before doing a remove including driver in order to get my wireless NIC working again. I let Windows Update install .150 but if I have issues I will go back to the August driver.

Interesting. Just double-checked Windows update history, and AFAICT the WiFi driver (Marvell) has not been updated. The driver is dated 2013-09-19, version 14.69.24044.150, and yes, the driver seems wobbly to say the least (disconnections for no reason, etc.). If the 160 version isn't better, our WiFi troubles will continue.

There could be a lot of reasons a WiFi update isn't offered. Other soft- and hardware components may be faulty so that updating WiFi wouldn't accomplish very much, updates could exhibit incompatibilities with existing components, and so on.

Nevertheless, I'll join the crowd of SP2 owners shouting for driver or FW updates that will improve WiFi on the SP2.