What's new

Surface Pro 2 - Recovery USB

kieranmlane

Hi All, I recently got a Surface Pro 2 from someone in the family who wanted something with a slightly larger screen but the recovery partition is no longer on the device. Naturally they didn't make the recovery USB and reinstalled windows before giving it to me - wiping the recovery partition (They used a Windows Install Disk they had laying around not the built in option from PC Settings). Anyways long story short I'd greatly appreciate it is anyone could make a recovery USB with there Surface Pro 2 and send me over the files. I saw another thread on here but for the Surface Pro 1 - though they never posted a link. Seems to just be a case of copying the files it adds to the USB to a fat32 USB so anyone who has a spare moment it would be greatly appreciated. :)

BTW\ I'm from the UK and the device was purchased from the UK so ideally looking for someone with a UK Surface Pro 2 though not certain of the differences between the files.

munakib

Hi All, I recently got a Surface Pro 2 from someone in the family who wanted something with a slightly larger screen but the recovery partition is no longer on the device. Naturally they didn't make the recovery USB and reinstalled windows before giving it to me - wiping the recovery partition (They used a Windows Install Disk they had laying around not the built in option from PC Settings). Anyways long story short I'd greatly appreciate it is anyone could make a recovery USB with there Surface Pro 2 and send me over the files. I saw another thread on here but for the Surface Pro 1 - though they never posted a link. Seems to just be a case of copying the files it adds to the USB to a fat32 USB so anyone who has a spare moment it would be greatly appreciated. :)

BTW\ I'm from the UK and the device was purchased from the UK so ideally looking for someone with a UK Surface Pro 2 though not certain of the differences between the files.

You want the whole recovery partition - usb backup?
How will it be possible to prove that your system wasnt stolen from someone else? I am not confident that any Surface Pro owners in their right minds would share their recovery partition data with a random stranger on an internet forum.

:S Goodluck though.

oion

You want the whole recovery partition - usb backup?
How will it be possible to prove that your system wasnt stolen from someone else? I am not confident that any Surface Pro owners in their right minds would share their recovery partition data with a random stranger on an internet forum.

:S Goodluck though.

There's no personal information in the factory image so privacy isn't at stake; moreover a Surface Pro 2 image won't work for other devices due to hardware differences for firmware and drivers. The real issue is simply file size, as the factory image is several GB large. Someone before had shared their recovery image privately on this forum (via PM or so), but that was for the Pro 1.

Theft is only shown through the registration process--if the original owner registered the Pro with MS but didn't unregister before giving it away, OP likely can't get any warranty services for it. But if the Pro wasn't registered before, that's not a problem (OP should then register it).

Another option is to find an MS store and bring both the Pro and a USB flash drive, see if they can help.

oion

Is there a unique key for windows 8 in the image however or are they just going with OEM keyless version?

Good question.

This was posted to the older thread about the Pro 1 image: http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...s-help-need-surface-pro-recovery-image-2.html
The product key on the Surface Pro is embedded in the UEFI on the motherboard. Nothing to worry about there. If you want to find your key, you can use this utility : KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean

OP
K

kieranmlane

Hi, Definitely not looking to steal anyone's data, just looking to recover my Surface, though I agree I don't think it contains any personal information. As for the product key I'm not sure but I'd probably think that the above is right about it being embedded in the UEFI, I completely wiped the entire SSD inside and installed stock Windows 8.1 and it didn't ask for a key, the key it gave itself was the one I had when I first got it. Unfortunately yeah the size is an issue, I would take it to a MS store but I don't believe there are any in the UK, well from looking at the store finder they have :(

Zkyevolved

I don't have my surface pro 2 yet but I saw on surface. Com that they have the option to ask for recovery data software? I believe so at least.