What's new

Surface Pro 2 Update firmware 20/01/2014 (GPU 70º)

Hi friends,i installed the latest upgrade January 2014 and i made some testings and configurations with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
I can tell you that my Surface is now colder 70º,i leave it testing and configurations if anyone serves.

Testing Firmware 20/01/2014

Stress GPU test:Now 70º (1048 Mhz frequency)
Stress GPU test:Above 80º (998 Mhz frequency)

2 min (3 min remaining) [Total = 5 min]

qncn.jpg

10 sec. remaining

5oi5.jpg

Only down 1 Mhz of frequency for mantained at 70º (Now 1047 Mhz - 1048 Mhz) (Above = 948 Mhz - 998 Mhz)

Stress RAM test:Now 72º
Stress RAM test:Above 80º

2 min (3 min remaining) [Total = 5 min]

6daf.jpg

That's all,for now i am satisfied,i reached above 80° fast and now maintained at 70° without lowering the frequency

My Config Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

Config Core CPU : Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset = -6,8359375 mv
Processor Cache Voltage Offset = -1,9531250 mv

2dv1.png

Config Graphics GPU : Processor Graphics Ratio Limit = 10,5x
Processor Graphics Voltage Offset = -62,5000000 mv

2gxb.jpg

I played with this configuration for hours without problems, is stable.

PD/ I have not done test CPU because it never ascended to 68º.

That's it guys,forgive my English.

Greetings.

benjitek

Thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity, what system variable settings were in place during your testing?

OP
P

Pochowandpoch

Thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity, what system variable settings were in place during your testing?

Surface Pro 2 By default

Config Core CPU : Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset = +0,0000000 mv
Processor Cache Voltage Offset = +0,0000000mv

Config Graphics GPU : Processor Graphics Ratio Limit = 10x
Processor Graphics Voltage Offset = +0,0000000 mv

Surface Pro 2 during testing

Config Core CPU : Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset = -6,8359375 mv
Processor Cache Voltage Offset = -1,9531250 mv

Config Graphics GPU : Processor Graphics Ratio Limit = 10,5x
Processor Graphics Voltage Offset = -62,5000000 mv

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Nitemare

Is this the most you were able to get out of the system before it became unstable, or did you just tone it down very slightly? I just wonder if these are moderate values for people to use without worrying about system instability.

Philtastic

Wow, this is quite a find! This would prevent the SP2 from having to throttle to stay under 80 degrees, thus allowing us to max out the performance of the device. From my own testing, the SP2 throttles hard in situations that use 100% CPU and GPU (CPU goes to about 2.0 GHz on the 4300U processor when using the HeavyLoad stress test (HeavyLoad - Free Stress Test Tool for Your PC) which would replicate some video game situations. I'm surprised, however, that you could reduce the power so much that you reduce the temperature by more than 10 degrees - you'd think that Microsoft would design the device for greater power savings and, thus, lower heat and longer battery life.

Having said that, do you see a battery life increase for heavy use? I find that I can usually get about 1.5-2.0 hours when playing games at 100% battery and depending on the game with maximum GPU performance power setting and 50% screen brightness.

OP
P

Pochowandpoch

Having said that, do you see a battery life increase for heavy use? I find that I can usually get about 1.5-2.0 hours when playing games at 100% battery and depending on the game with maximum GPU performance power setting and 50% screen brightness.

Hello Philtastic,so is,i previously lasted between (1 hour/40 min playing games online),(1 hour/57 min playing offline) brightness at 95% (without activating the adaptive brightness).Now remains for me to test games with the new firmware,when the estimated results for it informs you.

Greetings.

Zuldan

Hello Philtastic,so is,i previously lasted between (1 hour/40 min playing games online),(1 hour/57 min playing offline) brightness at 95% (without activating the adaptive brightness).Now remains for me to test games with the new firmware,when the estimated results for it informs you.

Greetings.

Very nice post. Can you let us know if frame rates have improved in games. Say DOTA 2? Maybe a before and after FPS?