What's new

Surface pro 4 i5 Full speed/Fanless by undervolting

eduardmc

After a few thread people complaining about SP4 i5/i7 Fan noise. I started researching (even though fan noise doesn't bother me) but just to help out a few of the members here. I had the SP3 I5 and it was so hot and Fan so loud that I had to sell it just a week after I bought it. Sp4 i5 is a different story, rarely the fan goes on, still silent when it does, only during gaming is when it get kind of loud.

Now this is to help most of you, I didn't prepare a guide just giving u an idea of my finding before posting the guide. Also note that cpu are a hit or miss, since I have been a desktop overclocker since I cant remember, I know of the cherry pick cpu in which one cpu would run much cooler with less voltage than other. It will be the same for all surface pro, some of you might have a better PRO 4 than others which might be stable with less voltage and run coolers, others might be the other way around.

Now the software that I used to UNDERVOLT CPU / GPU is "intel extreme tuning utility"
UNDERVOLTING WON'T DAMAGE YOUR CPU or components. OVERVOLTING OR/AND Overclocking CAN. If your system is stable after stress test, your setting profile will be enable and even after rebooting, app will run in background with undervolting setting enable.

I was able to get my PRO 4 i5, No throlling (able to mainting at all time 2.9ghz under stress test), much cooler, only a little warm in the back doing stress test. temp on cpu 42C after 100% stress test for 1 hour, 49C gpu temp after 100% stress test for 1 hour. NOTE this also give you better battery life but I have not test this to know exactly how much better.

I notice that in the I5 model the fan kicks in at 51C (very low, almost inaudible) and start getting noisier by 55C and up.

Now by undervolting I was able to lower temp
Cpu from 54c to 42C
Gpu from 63C to 49C

If any of you have an idea how to use this apps, here are my setting, I didn't tweak much so is very simple. Right now don't have the time for a guide but hope this might help.

"CORE VOLTAGE OFFSET" -75.19 mv
Voltage I get with this setting
idle: 0.5730v load: 0.8590v

"PROCESSOR GRAPHIC VOLTAGE OFFSET"
-90.82 MV

idle: 0.2450v load: 0.8900 v

Again, with this setting my Pro stay Fanless without getting hot, throlling,

any questions, i'll be here to help

Last edited:

atoren

Unfortunately, I couldn't get mine to be stable at these settings. Playing a 1080p video would cause it to crash everytime. I'll keep trying and playing with my settings. Just because your settings didn't play well with my surface pro 4, doesn't mean there aren't any settings that will.

*fingers crossed

kristiankenneth

Good day, I applied your settings and my core i7 model seems to be stable, however what can we do to check if the settings has been implemented after reboot? Should we run the XTU again and apply the profile or is it set automatically every reboot without running the XTU app?

monopodman

Hey,

Is it possible to disable Turbo Boost or lower the operating frequency in any other way, ideally using profiles?

Floswen

Did you notice any autonomy improvement with UV?

Edit : You answered my question in the initial thread. I will test this myself :p

kamilowyb

After a few thread people complaining about SP4 i5/i7 Fan noise. I started researching (even though fan noise doesn't bother me) but just to help out a few of the members here. I had the SP3 I5 and it was so hot and Fan so loud that I had to sell it just a week after I bought it. Sp4 i5 is a different story, rarely the fan goes on, still silent when it does, only during gaming is when it get kind of loud.

Now this is to help most of you, I didn't prepare a guide just giving u an idea of my finding before posting the guide. Also note that cpu are a hit or miss, since I have been a desktop overclocker since I cant remember, I know of the cherry pick cpu in which one cpu would run much cooler with less voltage than other. It will be the same for all surface pro, some of you might have a better PRO 4 than others which might be stable with less voltage and run coolers, others might be the other way around.

Now the software that I used to UNDERVOLT CPU / GPU is "intel extreme tuning utility"
UNDERVOLTING WON'T DAMAGE YOUR CPU or components. OVERVOLTING OR/AND Overclocking CAN. If your system is stable after stress test, your setting profile will be enable and even after rebooting, app will run in background with undervolting setting enable.

I was able to get my PRO 4 i5, No throlling (able to mainting at all time 2.9ghz under stress test), much cooler, only a little warm in the back doing stress test. temp on cpu 42C after 100% stress test for 1 hour, 49C gpu temp after 100% stress test for 1 hour. NOTE this also give you better battery life but I have not test this to know exactly how much better.

I notice that in the I5 model the fan kicks in at 51C (very low, almost inaudible) and start getting noisier by 55C and up.

Now by undervolting I was able to lower temp
Cpu from 54c to 42C
Gpu from 63C to 49C

If any of you have an idea how to use this apps, here are my setting, I didn't tweak much so is very simple. Right now don't have the time for a guide but hope this might help.

"CORE VOLTAGE OFFSET" -75.19 mv
Voltage I get with this setting
idle: 0.5730v load: 0.8590v

"PROCESSOR GRAPHIC VOLTAGE OFFSET"
-90.82 MV

idle: 0.2450v load: 0.8900 v

Again, with this setting my Pro stay Fanless without getting hot, throlling,

any questions, i'll be here to help
Great tip but i have one question . It is possible to start XTU with start windows 10?