What's new

Surface Pro 3 launched - 12" tablet, 9mm thick, 2160x1440

OP
K

kevinlevrone

It fixes everything what was possibly wrong with this.

I still need to see the exact dimension specs in order to commit to buying one. The bezels are not very thin, so it may just be a bit larger than I would want.

TeknoBlast

A little let down that no mini was announced. Still excited about the Surface Pro 3. So I assume there's no Surface 3 then., just the Pro.

Last edited:
Meh, I love how he stressed "no compromises" were made. We'll see about that on the benchmarks. For a start, the i3 version is certainly less powered than the SFPro2.

So the new hardware is larger (12''), with a 3:2 screen (that's interesting!), variable stand (talk about "incremental improvements") and.. what else?

- What's exactly new about the pen, except the better positioned button? Most of what he mentioned seems to be on the software side. Engadget says it's also N-Trig instead of Wacom, so I'd be prepared for a nasty surprise.

- Why is it "virtually fanless"? A fan was clearly seen...

Last edited:

quadtronix

Intriguing but will have to read the reviews and do some serious research cause for a $799 starting price I would have to make sure... probably will try to play with one in-store before I decide. That said, it is very tempting!!

TeknoBlast

As much I as would love to order one tomorrow, I'm going to wait for the holiday season and see if any bundles are offered.

It's not only the device itself, alse have to consider the cost of the cover.

OP
K

kevinlevrone

I wonder if it has two USB ports. On one side it has only one USB port, it would be great if it has a second USB port on the other side.

kozak79

Love everything about it but not the N-Trig Digitizer. I use my surface to draw and N-Trig devices have so far been really crappy for this task. Will wait for reviews of the digitizer before I decide.

Anyone know which video chip they went with? They didn't mention it, are they still sticking with the Intel HD 4400 or a 5000 or a dedicated chip?

mtalinm

I'm so there on launch day. Top feature for me is the sticky keyboard clip that will make it laptop-stable. Bit of a kludge but I'm a function> form guy.

My only worry is that the i7 will have SP1-level battery life. Wish they had kept the HD resolution - plenty for such a small screen - which should last longer.