What's new

Surface Pro 3 slow WiFi speed after udpate?

godson594

lol -- the fun begins, my work surface 3 arrived yesterday, worked fine I didnt use it much but I updated FW before going to bed. Woke up today and my wifi doesn't even work... Came here see this thread and jump in the 2.6ghz band to get back up and running.

Do they really not test this stuff on AC routers? I mean really?

benjitek

Do they really not test this stuff on AC routers? I mean really?
A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. References to the Surface Mini in the SP3 documentation isn't exactly making me wish I'd been in a position to buy a 1st-generation SP3 ;-)

Klownicle

I'm outside on my porch and just checked my wireless N speed, low and behold its 6mbps? Interesting, I thought I noticed the wireless seemed to be a little slow.

godson594

Hope they fix it asap. My 5ghz wont even work using nighthawk router. 2.6 works but slows down or times out a lot.

OP
D

double07

[RESOLVED] Folks, this is no longer an issue. 6Mbps is the power saving mode. It is similar to how the i5 CPU throttle the speed. The WiFi, while on battery will idle at 6 and increase as needed. I think, there might be setting to disable it. But, I like it this way to save battery.

Klownicle

[RESOLVED] Folks, this is no longer an issue. 6Mbps is the power saving mode. It is similar to how the i5 CPU throttle the speed. The WiFi, while on battery will idle at 6 and increase as needed. I think, there might be setting to disable it. But, I like it this way to save battery.

I don't know if you'd call it resolved. We shouldn't be forced to operate in a limited mode when not running off AC. We should have the right to suck that battery dry as quickly as we choose. I hate it when companies skimp edges to give the perceived "improvement". And I'm seeing a lot of this with the Surface Pro 3. The only power option is "balanced" right now. However when messing with powercfg via command line, you can enable high performance mode. Its been noted this increases the Pro 3's video capabilities. I bet it messes with the WiFi power as well.

When you operate in these low power modes, you have the time it takes for the devices to ramp up the power. I've never liked this, and always notice delays. When the surface is put into High Performance mode via powercfg, it becomes noticeably snappier.

Last edited:

geckoking

how do you put into high performance via powercfg?
im not a techie person. i know you run in command prompt.

When you operate in these low power modes, you have the time it takes for the devices to ramp up the power. I've never liked this, and always notice delays. When the surface is put into High Performance mode via powercfg, it becomes noticeably snappier.[/QUOTE]

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hope they fix it asap. My 5ghz wont even work using nighthawk router. 2.6 works but slows down or times out a lot.

Did you update to latest Firmware that was released this week for the R7000? After I updated mine I didn't lose connection, still had the reduced speed but it ramped up rather quickly while doing stuff...

Hiboi

how do you put into high performance via powercfg?
im not a techie person. i know you run in command prompt.

Go to command prompt and copy and paste Powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

it will automatically change your power setting to high performance, and if you want to change it back to balance click your battery icon on your taskbar and click "more battery options" to change it.

JesseDiaz

Did you update to latest Firmware that was released this week for the R7000? After I updated mine I didn't lose connection, still had the reduced speed but it ramped up rather quickly while doing stuff...

Do you mean the MS firmware update? if not, maybe a short description?
Thanks

bamaster

Go to command prompt and copy and paste Powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

it will automatically change your power setting to high performance, and if you want to change it back to balance click your battery icon on your taskbar and click "more battery options" to change it.

This needs to be sticky. When plugged in, I want High Performance.