What's new

Surface Pro 3 slow WiFi speed after udpate?

double07

I picked up my new Surface Pro 3 at local BB yesterday. I was using the SP3 for good hours. My SP3 is connected to Netgear R7000 and I got link speed around 700+mbps. I did the system update and I think it did the firmware and OS update. Now, my wifi link speed shows 6mpbs. Yes, that is six!!! I have tried everything, reboot the router, reboot the SP3, removed wifi setting and re-add.. I am still getting only 6mbps. Has anyone seen this before? Can someone check yours? Did you do the firmware update(it took good 10 min to update)? Thanks in advance...

ctitanic

Really interesting, I do not have an AC router to test it, that explains Why I have not noticed any difference after the update. You are in a different level. ;)

dleuen

My WiFi is running at full speed, no issues after updates. I didn't look to see if the driver got updated but I wouldn't expect the firmware update to affect that. My router is not ac either, I'm at 23Mbps on a 24Mbps DSL link.

ctitanic

Well, there are other users reporting the same thing after the update. Only AC connections are affected So far from what I can see.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It appears to be something to do with Power Management, as it at least for me impacting on battery, plugged in I'm getting 600-850 Mbps on battery drops as low as 6 Mbps but bounces around 300-600 Mbps but at times gets stuck at 6 or even stops responding.

ctitanic

It appears to be something to do with Power Management, as it at least for me impacting on battery, plugged in I'm getting 600-850 Mbps on battery drops as low as 6 Mbps but bounces around 300-600 Mbps but at times gets stuck at 6 or even stops responding.

That's what I think too

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

guyp2k

Same issue as stated by the OP...Came here looking for a solution and I am experiencing the same issue. Same router as OP, R7000 and hopefully there will be a fix soon. Also I have noticed a few times I will lose connectivity all together, even though WIFI is connected I am unable to access any network resources such as surfing the internet or shared drives.

OP
D

double07

If the wifi is throttling to save power than I am okay with that. This feature should be clearly spell out. Perhaps it did in design spec some where. Like I said, it's freaking me out. I just want to be sure my device is not defected. I will to do some testing with power plug.

Thanks for those that pointed out.

BTW: @ctitanic, Thanks for pic illustration. I always like the visual.

[UPDATE]: I did a quick test. Yes, with the power plug in. I can see my wifi speed is back ~700-800Mbps again... :)

Last edited:

benjitek

Did you try turning Bluetooth off? On my SP2, my WiFi connection speed drops by half (from 50mbps to 25mbps) when both Bluetooth and WiFi are on.