What's new

Surface Pro 3 Wi-Fi issues (slow connection)

phlo

Hi,

I recently bought a Surface Pro 3 and booted it up. I installed all updates via windows update. But since day 1 I'm encountering slow Wi-Fi-connection.

Via ethernet-adapter I get max. 30Mbit/s. But via Wi-Fi only the following values:
(I tested with two different routers)
  1. Linksys via 5GHz: max. 5Mbit/s
  2. Fritz!Box via 5GHz: max. 11Mbit/s
I also own a Lenovo ThinkPad and I get the full 30Mbit/s over Wi-Fi (both routers), so this seems to be a Surface-related issue. I also formatted and installed a fresh Win 8.1 Pro copy, but I'm still encountering the exact same values.

Is this a hardware-defect and I need to send my surface in or is there a possible fix?

Greetings
phlo

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give us more information on the Linksys such as model number and firmware version? Also, I've seen others having issues using 802.11AC WLAN on the FritzBox, these routers don't seem to function with the newer cards.

You could go into the advanced settings and set the SP3 to use Wireless "N" under the advanced tab on the Device Properties.

OP
P

phlo

Thanks for your quick answer.

Linksys E4200: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) big (SVN revision 21061)
FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7270 v3: FRITZ!OS 06.05

The Linksys doesn't support 802.11AC and is set to N-Only (5GHz) and the FritzBox doesn't support it neither and is set to 802.11n+a.

How am I supposed to switch the Wireless-card to "N-only"? In the advanced tab (Device Manager -> Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC -> Advanced) I can only choose between "Band: 2.4GHz only / 5GHz only / Auto", "Packet Coalescing: "Disabled / Enabled" and "Wake on pattern match: Disabled / Enabled".

Greetings
phlo

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ah....you are using DD-WRT, also known to have issues with the Marvell WLAN Adapter. You are correct about the Advanced Tab as it looks like it was removed again. You can still do it via a reg hack but not recommended.

I would look for an updated DD-WRT Firmware/update or perhaps consider updating your router. I get 866 Mbps on mine on 5GHz...

OP
P

phlo

Wowzers, 866 Mbps is pretty nice!

Hm, DD-WRT is already the latest version, this also applies for the FritzBox. Is this a general problem with the WLAN-Adapter or is there a chance of getting rid of it by sending in the surface?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Wowzers, 866 Mbps is pretty nice!

Hm, DD-WRT is already the latest version, this also applies for the FritzBox. Is this a general problem with the WLAN-Adapter or is there a chance of getting rid of it by sending in the surface?
Many older routers are struggling with the newer WLAN Adapters from all of the major players (Broadcom, Intel and Marvell), it has to do with how negotiations are handled between the router and WLAN, add to that the newer network stack in Windows 8.1 and later you end up with incompatibilities. I had an older D-Link Router (N750) it I was only getting 5 Mbps with my Surface Pro 2 on Wireless N, so I upgraded to a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC Router, I saw immediate improvements with the SP2, now I was getting 144-200 Mbps, when I updated all of my SP2s to SP3s we are now seeing just under gigabit speed...

OP
P

phlo

That is too bad I have to upgrade, but otherwise great to hear, that my Surface doesn't have a major hardware-issue.
Thank you for your advices, my next investment will be a new router, I guess. ;)

Thanks a lot
phlo

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I only have a measly 2.4 ghz Wireless N Router that supports a max 160 mbps connection and I typically get 130. not that it matters as my Inet link is 50mbps so I don't see any need to change my router.

Id definitely try a different router first unless you have it in the basement and you're connecting from the second floor. Those speeds are definitely a problem.

One day I connected a USB hub and 2 wireless USB adapters then bridged the connections for 390 mbps :) Still, 50mbps from the Inet.