What's new

Surface Pro 4, Galaxy Tab Pro S, or iPad Pro

OP
I

irogos

I set custom scaling level to 200%. It makes all buttons down at the bottom of the screen larger as well as all the buttons when things like edge are open.

You can google it to find directions on how to do it.

Last edited:

DavidZ

I set custom scaling level and set it to 200%. It makes all buttons down at the bottom of the screen larger as well as all the buttons when things like edge are open.

You can google it to find directions on how to do it.
I think I see what you're talking about. If you go to: Settings > System > Display > Change the size of text, apps and other items, there's a slider. The default is 200% and you can set it as low as 100% and as high as 300%.

Unfortunately, I don't see this as much of an improvement in the "touch friendly" department. It seems to me that Windows 10 is designed for use with a pointing device and touch is not optimized. It's a good thing there's a pen or else you could be tapping away until your finger hurts.

OP
I

irogos

I think I see what you're talking about. If you go to: Settings > System > Display > Change the size of text, apps and other items, there's a slider. The default is 200% and you can set it as low as 100% and as high as 300%.

Unfortunately, I don't see this as much of an improvement in the "touch friendly" department. It seems to me that Windows 10 is designed for use with a pointing device and touch is not optimized. It's a good thing there's a pen or else you could be tapping away until your finger hurts.

I can tell you that this makes everything significantly easier as far as hitting the icons to open up edge, start menu etc and also for opening additional tabs, closing windows etc.

If I compare my Surface 3 to my iPad Air 2, the reason that everything is easier for touch on the iPad Air 2 is because the icons are larger. When using Safari it is easier to open tabs and close windows.

Zkyevolved

Ipad is the true touch friendly device, since most apps aren't optimized for the ipad pro, and will be larger than average xD haha. There is also no ability to use a mouse... So, if you ever want to do anything productive, I'd stay away from the iPad. Windows is the true multitasking and productivity OS. Mobile OSes are good for viewing a document, making tiny changes here and there... But they are all very lacking in true multitasking and productivity running mobile apps vs the true desktop ones.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with an iPad Pro or an Android tablet... It's just that they don't work for me... here's my use yesterday: I was waiting at the doctor's office and I had a powerpoint, document, chrome and one note all running at the same time, clicking between them every few seconds to add data to each of them or find more on the net... Just pressing the multitasking button on my Android tablet takes longer xD

Last edited:

wynand32

I can create a spreadsheet in five minutes in Excel 2016 that won't load on Excel Mobile. Same for Word and PowerPoint. Personally, I think it's exceedingly silly to lump the iPad Pro in the same class as Windows 10 machines. iOS (and Android) are fine for what they do, and I use them myself, but they're just not the same as full-on "desktop"-class operating systems like Windows 10 and OS X.

jrioux

I can create a spreadsheet in five minutes in Excel 2016 that won't load on Excel Mobile. Same for Word and PowerPoint. Personally, I think it's exceedingly silly to lump the iPad Pro in the same class as Windows 10 machines. iOS (and Android) are fine for what they do, and I use them myself, but they're just not the same as full-on "desktop"-class operating systems like Windows 10 and OS X.
The AVERAGE iPad owner probably doesn't even know how to enter a formula in Excel. The Office mobile apps are all that they will ever need. Simplicity is one of the reasons why the iPad Pro sold so well. The other is that it's an oversized status symbol. People can't miss it, like they do the iWatch.

As George Carlin so aptly said "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The AVERAGE iPad owner probably doesn't even know how to enter a formula in Excel. The Office mobile apps are all that they will ever need. Simplicity is one of the reasons why the iPad Pro sold so well. The other is that it's an oversized status symbol. People can't miss it, like they do the iWatch.

As George Carlin so aptly said "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
George was a genius!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your going to consider stuff that's not available think about the Thinkpad X1 Tablet.
ThinkPad X1 Tablet | Tablet. Laptop. Projector. 3D Camera. You Decide. | Lenovo US
Processor
  • Up to Intel® Core™ m7 vPro™ Processor
Operating System
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 8.1 Driver Support
Graphics
  • Intel® HD Integrated Graphics
Memory
  • Up to 16 GB LPDDR3
Storage
  • Up to 1 TB SSD
Camera / Microphone
  • 2 MP or 8 MP with Flash 1080p
  • IR Camera, No WiGig and No NFC(Optional) / Dual Array Microphone
Battery
  • Up to 15 Hours of battery life with Productivity Module
  • 10 Hours with tablet and 5 Hours from Productivity Module
Display
  • 12" FHD+ 2K (2160 x 1440) IPS, 3:2
Dimensions (W x D x H)
  • Tablet :
  • (inches) : 11.45" x 8.25" x 13"
  • (mm) : 291.5 x 209.5 x 0.51
  • Keyboard :
  • (inches) : 11.45" x 8.25" x 0.51"
  • (mm) : 291.5 x 209.5 x 13
Weight
  • Tablet : Starting at 1.8 lbs (795 g)
  • Keyboard : Starting at 2.4 lbs (1.1 kg)
Security and Manageability
  • dTPM
  • vPro™ Technology
  • Touch Sensor Fingerprint Reader
  • IR Camera, No WiGig and No NFC(Optional)
Modules
  • Productivity Module
  • 5 Hours Battery Life, HDMI, OneLink+ and full size USB
  • Presenter Module
  • A 60" display from 2 Meters.
  • Full-size HDMI (in/out)
  • 3D Imaging Module
  • Rear-facing Intel RealSense™ Camera
Keyboard / Pen
  • ThinkPad® Thin Keyboard / Stylus Pen
  • With the famous pointing stick (woo hoo!)
Colors
  • Black
  • Red
  • Silver
I/O (Input/Output) Ports
  • WiGig
  • 1 x USB 3.0
  • 1 x USB Type-C Power Delivery
  • Mini DisplayPort™
  • microSD™
  • Audio
  • Nano Sim
WLAN
  • 2 x 2 MIMO 802.11 a/c
WWAN
  • Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm®
  • Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A
  • Huawei ME906s (4G LTE / 3G )
Crapware/Creepware :rolleyes:
  • Included at no extra charge :D wait for the Microsoft Store WE edition

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
please tell me it supports linux Ubuntu on Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 3rd Generation | Ubuntu

I will buy one right now
The X1 Carbon is a different animal than the X1 Tablet. Unfortunately Lenovo of late has been playing the name reusing game especially with Yoga and now too it seems with X1. I'm not sure they might even have an X1 Carbon Yoga. lookout for "Pro" also, I noticed they had a "Pro" Android Tablet but their other Pro's were Windows.

Name salad. Thinkpad X1 Carbon Yoga Pro with 2 in 1 oil on the side.