What's new

Surface pro able to load other OS's according to reddit interview

marcux

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
40
Points
8
According to the interview with the developers on Reddit, you can turn off the secure boot loader in the surface pro. this is awsome news!


> For the Surface Pro....is the boot loader unlocked? Can I do what I want with my (potential) property? Or am I locked in to Windows 8?



[–]SurfaceTeam 496 points 22 hours ago

Like other Windows 8 machines, you can access BIOS settings and turn off secure boot, enabling you to load other OSes.

[–]Nygmatic 331 points 21 hours ago

This needs to be advertised heavily! A top if the line tablet that can run Linux would be a killer for the tech and IT crowd!

May have just sold me one.

[–]SurfaceTeam 296 points 21 hours ago
 
Lol, I understand the excitement but does MS really need to heavily advertise that the hardware can run others OSes? I don't think so. Super backhanded compliment the poster I'm sure didn't even realize :D
 
IMO maybe I'd consider dual booting but I would not switch to another OS. Not enough hard drive space...
 
IMO maybe I'd consider dual booting but I would not switch to another OS. Not enough hard drive space...

You can get super tiny installations of Linux and you can also run live from a usb sitck ;)
 
You can get super tiny installations of Linux and you can also run live from a usb sitck ;)

Our guest computer at work has Ubuntu on it. I never saw it before I came to work here and I think it's actually a good OS. There's going to be alot of playing going on with the Surface Pro!
 
Back
Top