What's new

Surface Pro is still a really really good tablet.

double07

I have been using SP for months now. I am very happy with its performance. It's a little heavy compare to rest of today's tablet. I was so happy with Surface Pro tablet and I decided to get Surface Pro 3 i5 8GB/256GB. After little over a week with SP3, I returned it due to few different reasons. As, I am back on SP1. I am realizing how well SP1 is performing. In some case, I feel like SP1 performs better than or at least the same as SP3. With what I am doing, I couldn't tell different in term of performance. I guess, if you don't need the larger screen and you are okay with the weight. SP1 is holding up pretty well.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

The SP1 was created after the engineers had plenty of time to design it and get bugs out ( for the most part ) and then they RUSHED the SP2 and SP3 out ... one right after the other ... was there even 4 months between them?

They slapped them together and rushed them out the door and thus we see many more complaints here about quality and performance than we did / do with the SP1.

My SP1 is humming along just fine. No screen bleed, nothing falling off, nothing creaking / squeaking.

I wouldn't trade it in on an SP3 even if Microsoft gave me full credit for what I paid for the SP1.

jeffskent

The SP1 was created after the engineers had plenty of time to design it and get bugs out ( for the most part ) and then they RUSHED the SP2 and SP3 out ... one right after the other ... was there even 4 months between them?

They slapped them together and rushed them out the door and thus we see many more complaints here about quality and performance than we did / do with the SP1.

My SP1 is humming along just fine. No screen bleed, nothing falling off, nothing creaking / squeaking.

I wouldn't trade it in on an SP3 even if Microsoft gave me full credit for what I paid for the SP1.
I sure would for full credit. I've used my SP1 since the day it was released and it still works flawlessly, but the battery was never very long lasting, strange to complain that a full computer is too heavy when it only weighs two pounds, but there you are.

From what I've read, the SP3 has a better, sort of, cpu, a bigger and brighter screen with much better resolution, and a bigger battery, and a better pen, all for the same $999 that I paid for my SP1. Maybe I will sell my 1 and buy a 2, now that I think of it. We'll see.

CrippsCorner

I would be happy with most of the advantages of the Surface Pro 3 but I'm not completely sold on 'a bigger and brighter screen' because I prefer the smaller size and only have my brightness at 50% anyway!

Matt

I agree the SP1 is still an amazing device. Up until yesterday I couldnt see why anyone would want a 12 inch SP3. Yesterday however I used the SP1 and One Note as a memo pad for recording a technical installation process in my handwriting allowing me to sketch simple diagrams as well. using the tab in portrait mode was great but I did find myself wishing it was a little wider as my garbled script could only fit 4-5 words per line (without zooming about).

Looking at the SP3 though I dont like the SP3 having different guts as well as storage. I dont store much on my SP1 fo a 64GB one with SD card is ok for my uses (will go for 128 next time....). On my SP1 that didnt bother me as I got the same CPU. On the SP2 they added more RAM on the larger storage models, a little annoying but ok as 4GB if fine for most uses. Along comes the SP3 and if I only want a 64GB model I dont even get an i5 anymore! I doubt a Haswell i3 can match the ivybridge i5. So a direct upgrade from a 64GB SP1 to a 64GB SP3 will actually be a downgrade in performance..... Not to mention that means I need to buy another larger type cover. So to get the same performance (or slightly better) Its gonna cost £960! Thats a lot which ever way you look at it.