What's new

Surprisingly Bad Gaming Performance

glass

I only play 1 game.. which is dota2 can't justify buying two separate devices for that reason. I bought my gf a sp1 and I enjoy using it. Need to update my old laptop so thought it would be good if I could play dota2 and use it as a tablet at the same time. Also will be using it to run gopro software.

Liam2349

I only play 1 game.. which is dota2 can't justify buying two separate devices for that reason. I bought my gf a sp1 and I enjoy using it. Need to update my old laptop so thought it would be good if I could play dota2 and use it as a tablet at the same time. Also will be using it to run gopro software.

The problem is, you can't expect huge portability and gaming power, not at this time. Surface devices are so easy to pick up, to carry, can be used anywhere, they are light... I think asking for all that, and gaming power is a bit much, unfortunately.

If you want to run games decently, you'll have to get a laptop I think. For the price of a Pro 3 and keyboard, you can get some really powerful laptops, laptops that can even run PlanetSide 2 at 30+FPS, which is a lot for a laptop.

Right now, you have to choose between incredible portability and computing power.

bkydcmpr

Some think the fan that runs at a barely audible 30-40 DB is too loud. :)
My decibel meter says 30 is a whisper and 40 is a quiet library.
The ambient noise reading in this space is 20-25 DB.
By comparison another computer I use has an annoying fan that's 70-75 DB.
there are many complaints about sp3 fan noise. I think not because the decibel of the over all noise but the high pitch in it, made it sound worse than the previous models.

Geneo

I agree. You can't have it all.
As much as I would love to play any game on my sp3, I know that I can't (nor did I expect to). I check the game's specs before even trying some of them.

For instance, it will play Banished! fine (looks good!)... but will throttle down once in a while (due to heat). I can play Age of Empires II with no problems at all(!), but AOE3 won't run due to not enough graphic power. It also plays CitiesXL with no problem, but Minecraft would probably throttle it down, so I wont even try it (the One version will be out shortly anyway).

It's not that the sp3 won't play games, it will- but it will not run every game. The term "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind. Just pick and choose your battles (pun intended).

grumpy

Exactly. If you need a dedicated gaming laptop, go to xoticpc.com and get a monster.
Waste of money. I went this route and I am ultimate dissatisfied with my choice. I thought a mobile workstation would best suite my needs, but 6 months after my purchase I got the SP1. The SP1 (now SP2) fully satisfied my mobile needs and the laptop is permanently docked. I could have purchased an equally capable desktop and two SP1s (maybe three) for the cost of the laptop. Plus, it is rather impractical to game on the go with any gaming laptop. Discrete graphics cards really kill the battery. And then there is the weight and the size...

I actually find the SP2 to be a reasonable gaming device for the form factor.

Last edited:

glass

Thanks for the input! I guess surface 2 might be the go for me. I was reading the review on a anandtech and it shows the i3 models achieve just below the surface 2 in the dota 2 test but then go on to say it drops after the first run (thermal throttle?). Anyone having good success with the i3 which they could share?

I'm want to stress I'm not trying to play all the gfx intensive games only dota2 which shouldn't use too much CPU/gfx

Liam2349

Thanks for the input! I guess surface 2 might be the go for me. I was reading the review on a anandtech and it shows the i3 models achieve just below the surface 2 in the dota 2 test but then go on to say it drops after the first run (thermal throttle?). Anyone having good success with the i3 which they could share?

I'm want to stress I'm not trying to play all the gfx intensive games only dota2 which shouldn't use too much CPU/gfx

In the Anandtech review they showed that Surface Pro 2 averaged 30FPS under the same conditions as an i5 SP3, which averaged 16FPS.