What's new

Swipe to go back - slow re-loading webpage?

godson594

Hello all,

Has anyone else noticed swiping screen to go "back" seems very slow to reload previous webpage (it's dim and then brightens when it reloads"

If I use they Type pad and hit backsapace its INSTANT.

I dont use the type pad that much though, is there a way to speed this up or am i doing wrong swipe command?

Thanks!!!

beman39

in the metro IE11 swiping back is always been slow for me, don't think there's anything we can do for that...

daniielrp

I'm heavily guessing here, but I think it may be to do with how long IE keeps the old pages in memory, or how much the websites utilize caching.

As a quick test I loaded I opened Facebook, which I assume doesn't cache too much as it updates regularly, and went forward a few pages and then left that tab open. I then loaded up my work's site in another tab (heavy caching) and quickly went back and forth.

After a few mins I went back to Facebook, and tried going back, and there was a definitely delay as it seem to almost fully reload each page when I went back.

This may be absolutely wrong and not the reason, but worth a shot! :p

beman39

well for me I can go to the next page let it finish loading and go swipe back right away and it does like the OP described, no matter how long or short the pause is...I hope more people will chime in to see if this is not normal metro IE11 behavior...also that's why I use desktop version of IE11 all the time for this reason...

OP
G

godson594

drives me nuts actually. My iPad doesnt do this, my laptops dont do it... I know its not my internet connection because the desktop version of IE works perfectly fine.

I hate that I cant pinch to zoom in the desktop version tho'

Hopefully they can patch it

hypokondriak

Hello all,

Has anyone else noticed swiping screen to go "back" seems very slow to reload previous webpage (it's dim and then brightens when it reloads"

If I use they Type pad and hit backsapace its INSTANT.

I dont use the type pad that much though, is there a way to speed this up or am i doing wrong swipe command?

Thanks!!!

It still isn't perfect for me, but ever since I put the MVPS hosts file on my machine I feel it's been a bit better. An added bonus is not having any ads. Give it a try.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

oion

Browsers have different cache reload behaviors* for history purposes and to for fluid browsing. Unfortunately, Metro IE11 isn't fluid when going back in history, whether swipe or by the keyboard (at least it behaves the same for me either way--appears to pause and dim before showing the page properly). IE11 desktop does appear faster, but I think it's the dimming aspect of Metro IE10 and IE11 that messes up the experience.

Might be worthwhile to ask on the official Microsoft community boards to see if that could be disabled, whether by registry hack or whatever, or at least to let MS know.

*Edit: Not "settings," don't want to imply that all behaviors can be fixed in a "setting" somewhere.

Last edited:

beman39

oion note that when OP and myself use the keyboard back buttons it loads instant, only the swipe gesture causes the slowness...dunno why

bluegrass

oion note that when OP and myself use the keyboard back buttons it loads instant, only the swipe gesture causes the slowness...dunno why

I never noticed whether mine did what you said. Actually stupid me, I was missing the back arrow until I discovered they did away with the need for a back arrow by allowing you to do a right swipe to go back. Mine restores the previous screen instantly. I bet there is a setting or something that is causing your problem. I do have my keyboard disconnected when I did the test