What's new

The Good? The Bad? The Ugly?

So, I'm looking to upgrade. Been using the Surface RT for 2.5 years very happily. For me it's a word processor, internet accessor and a presentation device (I put it on the pulpit and preach from it, kind of like my own personal teleprompter). The size of the RT has been very useful, and I'm upgrading because there's a monetary opportunity that might not come again for a while.

So, if you would, tell me what you like about your Surface 3, what you don't like, and how you think it would meet the needs I've indicated.

malberttoo

So, I'm looking to upgrade. Been using the Surface RT for 2.5 years very happily. For me it's a word processor, internet accessor and a presentation device (I put it on the pulpit and preach from it, kind of like my own personal teleprompter). The size of the RT has been very useful, and I'm upgrading because there's a monetary opportunity that might not come again for a while.

So, if you would, tell me what you like about your Surface 3, what you don't like, and how you think it would meet the needs I've indicated.

I haven't used the S3 so I'm just putting myself in your shoes a little bit here. But compared to a S2, I personally would like the S3 for it's lighter weight and that it was thinner, and for it's 3:2 screen aspect ratio, as opposed to the 16:9 shape.

As for everything else you mentioned, it will do well for use with Word as well as for surfing, as long as you don't find the screen too small. Personally, I would (if you haven't already) lay hands on one at a Microsoft Store or Best Buy.

My .02, anyways. :cool:

OP
B

brocharlieb

I got to lay hands on one at a Best Buy last week. The screen was fine. I would have liked to look at a Word file, to see how ti olio ilk,.look with the different screen ratio

I got to lay hands on one at a Best Buy last week. The screen was fine. I would have liked to look at a Word file, to see how ti olio ilk,.look with the different screen ratio
sounds like the surface 3 is a no brainer for you, just looking at benchmarks shows it's faster in every way over the first rt device. Oh and I think the new aspect ratio is better for tablet use, especially using in portrait mode.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Surface 3 is much faster in general than the Surface RT and will do everything it will... That wont make your sermon any shorter :)

The one downside is Office is not free forever as it was with Surface RT and Surface 2, you will get one free year then you will either have to pay the subscription or pick an alternative license or service.

IMO MS should grandfather all original Surface RT and Surface 2 owners with a perpetual Office license.

irogos

I would like to see Microsoft go the way of Apple with providing free office, but I think the fact that they charge for office results in more updates to it than what we see for Apple's version of office.

What I love about the Surface 3, it is speedy and full windows. It is the perfect size. It is fanless and pretty much sealed compared to the Surface Pro 3 which has a huge gap at the top.

What I do not like about the Surface 3: Battery life is less than advertised. I have never gotten 10 hours out of it. I think I tend to get around 6 hours with my settings for brightness. Charging takes a long time unless the device is powered off. I hope they release a fast charger that goes even higher than 13w.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to see Microsoft go the way of Apple with providing free office, but I think the fact that they charge for office results in more updates to it than what we see for Apple's version of office.

What I love about the Surface 3, it is speedy and full windows. It is the perfect size. It is fanless and pretty much sealed compared to the Surface Pro 3 which has a huge gap at the top.

What I do not like about the Surface 3: Battery life is less than advertised. I have never gotten 10 hours out of it. I think I tend to get around 6 hours with my settings for brightness. Charging takes a long time unless the device is powered off. I hope they release a fast charger that goes even higher than 13w.
You can get the same Office functionality as the iPad for free, but it is only available on the Windows 10 Preview. Office Universal Apps are available on the Windows 10 Beta Store.

Battery Life will always depend on what you are using the tablet for and which applications you are using. Win32 Programs consume more battery and using them predominantly will result in 30-60% reduction, Chrome alone can equate to 25-60% reduction alone.