What's new

The time to get a microsd card is now

OP
G

goodintentions

here is the disclaimer from one of the sellers! LOL WHAT?!!

PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASING
You are purchasing a brand new upgraded 265gb micro sd card. (The memory of these cards has been upgraded from 8gb to 256gb) therefore usable memory may vary from card to card. 8gb is the minimum these cards will hold If any read/write errors occur a simple format normally fixes any problems.
The problem with ebay is you can't review the product. You're only reviewing the seller. And you can't revise your review.

So, when you see that your fake card works fine the first couple days, you give him a positive review. Then a month later you notice your files are corrupted. Then what? Nothing you can do to warn others.

Ebay is full of counterfeiters.

zhenya

Yep, I would be extremely wary of buying memory cards from Ebay. I've even gotten counterfeit cards from Amazon. Be careful of who you buy from and make sure they have a good return policy!

OP
G

goodintentions

Yep, I would be extremely wary of buying memory cards from Ebay. I've even gotten counterfeit cards from Amazon. Be careful of who you buy from and make sure they have a good return policy!
But amazon at least allows you 30+ days to make a claim. And you can always revise your review of the product.

With ebay, there is absolutely no way you can warn future buyers.

Remember that some of these fakes are cleverly done so that most people won't catch on until a month or 2 later.

I stick with amazon because there are safety nets in place for buyers and future buyers.

bluegrass

That's why I don't buy from an auction site like eBay. I make practically all my technology purchases from Amazon and haven't been disappointed. BTW if you can spare you USB3 port you can get more storage and a heck of a lot faster if you look up SSD USB on Amazon. 120 gig - $54 250 gig $111.

OP
G

goodintentions

That's why I don't buy from an auction site like eBay. I make practically all my technology purchases from Amazon and haven't been disappointed. BTW if you can spare you USB3 port you can get more storage and a heck of a lot faster if you look up SSD USB on Amazon. 120 gig - $54 250 gig $111.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the sp3, which is mobility? It's one thing to put a microsd card in there for storage. It's a whole other thing to lug around a ssd usb with it.

B

B'midbar

when buying off of ebay sellers you have to be very VERY careful, what they do is take a 8GB card and upgrade it to 256GB and then you have all sorts of inconsistency problems and errors and last but not least you end up with a 8GB card instead of 256... I don't know how they do this but to me it sounds shady! so basically your not buying a true 256GB card but an 8GB card masquerading as a 256GB... I've posted a disclaimer claiming this is what they are doing in another thread!

Every card, every drive I ever buy gets submitted to H2testw immediately upon receipt. I've gotten one fraudulent jump drive and three counterfeit cards over the years (out of many purchased) and the seller gets contacted immediately for return and a case opened if necessary. Only ever had one where the dispute resulted in eBay/PayPal giving me back my money rather than the seller. May be too much hassle for some, but that's why it IS important to be diligent on the front-end and, for me, in the end it's been worth it for the dollars I've saved.

The above applies to all the notebooks, monitors, software, etc. I've bought up there over the years as well, which has been a LOT, including my SP3 and its accessories.

B

B'midbar

But amazon at least allows you 30+ days to make a claim. And you can always revise your review of the product.

With ebay, there is absolutely no way you can warn future buyers.

Remember that some of these fakes are cleverly done so that most people won't catch on until a month or 2 later.

I stick with amazon because there are safety nets in place for buyers and future buyers.

Sure you can, it's called negative feedback. And anyone who doesn't use that as one of their "tools" on eBay may very well be duped. Plus, for power users or techies there ARE ways to validate capacity immediately, NOT a couple of weeks or months later. Case in point - H2testw is a well known and used tool by many, including myself.

OP
G

goodintentions

Sure you can, it's called negative feedback. And anyone who doesn't use that as one of their "tools" on eBay may very well be duped. Plus, for power users or techies there ARE ways to validate capacity immediately, NOT a couple of weeks or months later. Case in point - H2testw is a well known and used tool by many, including myself.
I've already explained this in another post above.

The ebay feedback system isn't good at all. They push the buyer to feedback right after the item is received. And once the feedback is submitted, it can't be changed.

Fake sdcards aren't just pieces of plastic. They can save real data. What's fake about them is their capacity. So, it usually takes the average user more than a month to figure out something is wrong. By then, it's a pain in the neck to do anything about it.

By the way, not being a poweruser is not a crime. Go to China if you believe people should be forced to be anything.

B

B'midbar

I've already explained this in another post above.

The ebay feedback system isn't good at all. They push the buyer to feedback right after the item is received. And once the feedback is submitted, it can't be changed.

True, but there's nothing mandating feedback, nor do you have to be coerced. I leave no feedback until I've validated the item, technical or not. As a seller I leave no feedback period for a buyer until they've left me feedback since eBay eliminated negative seller feedback.

Fake sdcards aren't just pieces of plastic. They can save real data. What's fake about them is their capacity. So, it usually takes the average user more than a month to figure out something is wrong. By then, it's a pain in the neck to do anything about it.

By the way, not being a poweruser is not a crime. Go to China if you believe people should be forced to be anything.

Lighten up Francis, it's an Internet board.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

goodintentions

True, but there's nothing mandating feedback, nor do you have to be coerced. I leave no feedback until I've validated the item, technical or not. As a seller I leave no feedback period for a buyer until they've left me feedback since eBay eliminated negative seller feedback.

Lighten up Frances, it's an Internet board.
There's a time limit to when you can give a feedback. And again, let me repeat. A lot of these fakes won't show any symptom until a month or 2 later, past the time limit to give a feedback.

Don't get me wrong. I do buy things from ebay. But only certain things. Memory card is not one of these things I would buy from ebay.

ScottyS

I just bought an sp3 i5 128gb + typecover+pen for $780 in like-new condition. Been using visual studio on it and I love it.

That being said, the original intent has always been to get a 128gb micro sd to store stuff. I'm one that doesn't really care all that much about the read and write speeds of the card. As long as I don't have to wait all day for a file to load, I'm fine with it.

That being said, I've been waiting for something to go on sale. And here it is, folks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M562LF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been watching these cards for weeks, and this is the best deal you can get.

Went from $130 down to $90. It's only for today, so you better get it now if you've been meaning to get one.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely zero affiliation to Sandisk.
I got the older version of this card (read/write up to 30Mb/s) when the SP3 first came out and it works great.
I keep all my photos, music and video on it (I guess I don't have that many music and video files).